mtbr member
    Jul 2011

is this an old school xtr ?

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...ed=0CHUQ9QEwDA

mine looks just like the one in the pic. but i see others that look way more complicated and modern. is this an old one, or a cheaper one ?

Former Bike Wrench
    No, this is an "old school" XTR...that is an older model XTR

the catalan connection
    A very nice derailleur nonetheless.
    "Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving us wordly evidence of the fact." George Elliot

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    and it says it was only 80 bucks. that seems really cheap for the highest end shimano rear der

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    $80 would have been as it was going out... that is the rdr I ran until last month... it was nice, but I wanted something new.
    Fat guys need bikes too.

the catalan connection
    Quote Originally Posted by Knight511 View Post
    $80 would have been as it was going out... that is the rdr I ran until last month... it was nice, but I wanted something new.
    For some (include myself) 950xtr series was the best xtr ever made. To get something modern, just for the sake of "moderness" is not always a smart move...not necessarily wrong either.
    Not meaning to arise any purchase remorse here, just pointing it out.
    "Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving us wordly evidence of the fact." George Elliot

≈ > ♥
    I still prefer the 950/952 series (for XC) over anything else they've since offered. Takes way more of a beating...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    wow i know alot less than i thought. i didnt know there was more than 1kind xtr. is this the cheapo model ? and i have buyer remorse. it came on a used bike i bought

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by nailtrail View Post
    wow i know alot less than i thought. i didnt know there was more than 1kind xtr. is this the cheapo model ? and i have buyer remorse. it came on a used bike i bought
    No, it is an old discontinued model of XTR. Different in the same way that a 1980 Ford Mustang is different than a 2010 Mustang. Same name, different product, and the old version is no longer made.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Not exactly old school but it is an older model, that one's from about 10 years ago give or take a year or two either way. It's from the 950 series which is the 2nd generation of XTR, we're now on the 980 which is the 5th generation of the groupset. At the time it was the best available and even now it's still darn good, I still run a 950 on my bike since it looks great, works really well, and just won't die. Mine actually came off a pro's bike after she raced it for a couple seasons, I was the shop mechanic who sometimes worked on her bike and eventually ended up with her entire 8-speed XTR groupset when she upgraded to 9-speed.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I have one of that series with a solid 10,000 km on it. I have used it for just about everything. It has been on 4 different bikes.
    If its new, grab it and it will last a long time!
    Yes its retro but IT WORKS!

8 Speed is great and V-Brakes rock!

Ex-wrench...have a Question just ask!

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by What&son View Post
    For some (include myself) 950xtr series was the best xtr ever made. To get something modern, just for the sake of "moderness" is not always a smart move...not necessarily wrong either.
    Not meaning to arise any purchase remorse here, just pointing it out.
    It wasn't just about being modern. I really liked the 952 (as mine was) XTR stuff (I had the rear derailleur and the shifter/brake lever combos). I have the original 950 (I think 950... the first year of XTR v brakes) on my bike as well (I have moved them from bike to bike since I got them). I replaced my XTR (which I still have all of it) so I could get back to GripShift... that is all. I have some problems with my thumbs and grip, so I thought getting rid of thumb shifters would help... and I was right! I now ride a set of 2010 X0 Gripshifters, Avid SD7 levers and the X9 rear derailleur. I have ZERO issues with my hands and riding now... I won't go back to thumb shifters (and thus the reason why SRAM needs to release a 2x10 gripshift).

No remorse with me... I can ride my bike again without being in pain. that is worth every penny!
    Fat guys need bikes too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    hmm, weird that is that old. i bought a 2007 marin nail trail that has this generation of xtr r d on it. i ment in my earlier post that i do no not have buyers remorse since it came on my bike.

DIY all the way
    hmm, weird that is that old. i bought a 2007 marin nail trail that has this generation of xtr r d on it. i ment in my earlier post that i do no not have buyers remorse since it came on my bike.
    Somebody else also knew it's good, even in todays money

You should be happy with that purchase, as it will simply last more or less forever.

I have the same on my main bike, it is now like 12 years old, has survived a few bikes, loads of crashes, and it so far have only asked for new pulleys from time to time, and a new seal for the bearing around the hanger bolt.

Magura

the catalan connection
    Not strange thing. The newer xtr generation suposed to replace the 950 was the one that came with DualControl , first xtr disc, and RapidRise only rear derailleurs.(960 series) Some manufacturers decided to stick to older type derailleurs that were still normal type (they found made more sense with DualControl levers) Specialized did that, and seems (from your experience) Marin also did.
    950 was made, at least, until 960 was released. That was 2003. Shimano didn't offer a new normal spring derailleur until 970 series, in 2007. So it makes sense your bike still came with a 950 series one.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    i dont know why i find components so interesting. it seems like something so boring, but not for me lol

the catalan connection
    i dont know why i find components so interesting. it seems like something so boring, but not for me lol
    I really wonder how some people find components boring.Iīm addicted to bike parts, really

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    There are people that like to ride bike.... and then there are people that like bikes. Just like there are those that like to drive cars and those that like cars. Most folks don't care whether the car has a twin scroll turbo or a single... they just hear turbo. Most (or at least a lot) of us here on the forums really like bikes. We like reading about everything bike and knowing stuff just to know stuff about them. I live in North Texas and will NEVER have a use for a gravity bike, but I love readying about the new technologies for them because it trickles down to XC later....

we are just junkies.... nothing more, nothing less.
    Fat guys need bikes too.