Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Old Powerlink on new chain ok?

1K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  M.A.X 
#1 ·
I have a few old SRAM Powerlinks lying around and I'm wondering if it's ok to use them to connect a new chain?

The SRAM Tech Manual states: "Always use a new Power Link when fitting a new chain" - I'm wondering if that's actual honest advice or whether they just want you to buy another Powerlink from them (or be uber careful in case of any potential liability implications).

Thanks for the help!

#3 ·
Personally i dont like those quick release connections,
I dont use them and carefully connect the chain directly with a high quality chain tool.
i dont use those breakaway pins with shimano chains either just connect directly. And clean chain on the bike.

#4 ·
M.A.X said:
I have a few old SRAM Powerlinks lying around and I'm wondering if it's ok to use them to connect a new chain?

The SRAM Tech Manual states: "Always use a new Power Link when fitting a new chain" - I'm wondering if that's actual honest advice or whether they just want you to buy another Powerlink from them (or be uber careful in case of any potential liability implications).

Thanks for the help!
I think it would be OK to re-use one if you need to. I have, and it seemed to work fine, though I put a new link on after a few rides. Theoretically, it probably has a tad more stretch in it, so if possible I would put a new one on to be sure, but I can't imagine that a single stretched link is going to cause that much extra wear.

I don't understand how you got a new SRAM chain without a new link, though.:confused:

#5 ·
M.A.X said:

Thanks for the help!
I keep using the old links until they look bad. Or until a chain breaks and someone needs a link, I'll give them an old one and use a new one for myself. Seems lots of Shimano chain users don't carry the repair pins they should.

#6 ·
G-MAC said:
I dont use them and carefully connect the chain directly with a high quality chain tool.
i dont use those breakaway pins with shimano chains either just connect directly. And clean chain on the bike.
Pushing a pin back in is worse than using a replacement pin or powerlink. The factory chain link rivets have a "crimped" (maybe not the right term but you know what I mean) end. When those are pushed out, then pushed in, that link/rivet will be the weak spot.

That's why shimano has the special pins & sram has the quick link. I've used both, they work well.

#7 ·
G-MAC said:
How many chains have you put back together? I tried that a few times and it worked once and kind of worked another time, I also destroyed my fair share of links... I think you better off with a link or magic pin...

#8 ·
kapusta said:
I don't understand how you got a new SRAM chain without a new link, though.:confused:
Sorry, I should have been more clear - I DID get a new Powerlink with my new SRAM chain (and used it to connect the chain), I just have a few older Powerlinks lying around from old chains and was wondering if I could use those as spares (to reconnect the chain in case it broke).

#9 ·
Shark said:
Pushing a pin back in is worse than using a replacement pin or powerlink. The factory chain link rivets have a "crimped" (maybe not the right term but you know what I mean) end. When those are pushed out, then pushed in, that link/rivet will be the weak spot.

That's why shimano has the special pins & sram has the quick link. I've used both, they work well.
Correct.

In fact for their hollow pin chain SRAM specifically states that you should ONLY use a Powerlink gold to connect it, and never touch the hollow chain pins!

#10 ·
M.A.X said:
Sorry, I should have been more clear - I DID get a new Powerlink with my new SRAM chain (and used it to connect the chain), I just have a few older Powerlinks lying around from old chains and was wondering if I could use those as spares (to reconnect the chain in case it broke).
It is absolutely OK to use one as a backup.

#11 ·
I tried using one powerlink and moved it from chain to chain saving the new ones. (not sure what I was thinking) It finally broke. I found it in a couple of pieces. From then on, I have used the new link on every chain and I have a collection of used ones that I give away to those in need. It will get them out of the woods, and I let them know to get a new one when they're home.

#12 ·
agabriel said:
How many chains have you put back together? I tried that a few times and it worked once and kind of worked another time, I also destroyed my fair share of links... I think you better off with a link or magic pin...
yeah your right i should use the proper connections for chains but have been okay so far . i just make sure i can feel the pin sticking out slighty on each side of the link. and if its tight gently flex chain sideways a few times and ride. probobly wouldnt try this on hollow pin chains

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.