The Riddler

Okay to Use a Med. Cage Der. w/ 11-32 Cassette??

Wondering what the pros/cons are of using med. cage der. as opposed to long cage. I have an 11-32 casette if that helps.

Bodhisattva
    Shouldn't be a problem.
    Pro: crisper shifting & less chance of hitting the RD on a rock
    Con: may lose a few gear combos such as big/big which you shouldn't use anyway.
    Life....the original terminal illness

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Short chain

As Squeak said, you may have to give up big/big or even more rear cogs. If you set up the chain for the normal big/big + two links, you may find that on small/small, the derailleur can't take up the chain slack without the chain rubbing on itself.

glenk

hands up who wants to die
    I use a medium cage with 11-32 with no problems. However, I only have a 22/36/bash (no big ring).
    It's wonderful, and I don't miss the big ring at all.

-r

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Rpet,
    I should try give up the big ring. My chain's never on mine. It's there just as an ornament. Any problem with the 22/36 shift on the front?

glenk

On MTBR hiatus :(
    It'll work fine. You should still size your chain by the "Big-Big" method, so that it is always available to you (without damaging your drivetrain) should you accidentally shift there.

What becomes unusable is your small-small combo, which if shifted to will result in a loss of chain tension and a probably derailment if you don't catch it quickly enough. Worth any possible trouble for the reduced chain slap, higher chain tension, greater obstruction clearance and crisper shifts that comes with the reduced cage length.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

hands up who wants to die
    I love 22/36/bash!
    Much less chain to flop around.
    I can pedal up to 26mph or so without spinning out. If I'm going any faster than that, it's on a smooth descent, and gravity does the work for me.
    I don't have any shifting problems. I use an XTR rapidrise medium cage rear derailleur, LX front derailleur and Blackspire chainrings with an Evil/E13 bash. I bet I could even run 22/38/bash with fine shifting.

My other bike has 22/34/42, and I really only use the big ring has "storage space" for all that extra chain... In other words, I shift onto the big ring on bouncy descents to keep the chain from flying all over the place - but I certainly don't need the speed of 42t/11t!

I think 2 rings and a bash is the ideal set-up for my trail terrain here in Norcal. The bash is nice for logs and big rocks.
    I'm convinced that the average mountain bike comes with 3 chainrings because of the people who give up on MTBing and use their bike to commute to work. Each year more and more companies are giving 2 rings/bash as an option on their cranks (FSA,RF,Shimano).

-r

born again

... and if we just ... That's Funny!

Quote Originally Posted by rpet
    I'm convinced that the average mountain bike comes with 3 chainrings because of the people who give up on MTBing and use their bike to commute to work.

-r
    I run a 2X9 with RF Bash and a medium cage XTR. The extra clearance is awesome. Also the bash slides over logs without digging in like ring teeth. I had no use for my big ring so I got rid of it.
    Classic Cascade Rides

Original quote by Pinchflat:
    The faster you go the shorter the ride!