No, that's not phonetic

New question here. Ok, who makes an aftermarket crank bolt/extractor for M970 ('07+ XTR) cranks?

And more to the point, WTF is Shimano thinking by making a new and totally moronic crank arm attachment system where you need to buy a $35 tool to get your crank arm back off? I mean all you are going to do with the tool is thread a keeper cap over the crank arm bolt and use it to push the arm off. Why not just make the stock dust cap serve that purpose like on Truvativ GXP cranks and lots of designs for the past 10 years?? I can see neding a specific tool every now and then for a class of products, but not one specific to a single component when other common systems would do the job. Fug.

So, who makes one? Bueller? Bueller? A bolt/extractor cap, I mean.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

ups and downs
    I doubt that any of the tool manufacturers have jumped on the bandwagon since Shimano makes one, it'll be too small an aftermarket. They've normally shipped with the OEM cranks (at least both pairs of XTR cranks I bought from Chain Reaction Cycles came with the tools). The only time I haven't received one was for the XTR crankset that came installed on a bike.

The bigger question might be why did Shimano not use the same retaining system on the new XT cranks?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    And more to the point, WTF is Shimano thinking by making a new and totally moronic crank arm attachment system where you need to buy a $35 tool to get your crank arm back off? I mean all you are going to do with the tool is thread a keeper cap over the crank arm bolt and use it to push the arm off. Why not just make the stock dust cap serve that purpose like on Truvativ GXP cranks and lots of designs for the past 10 years?? I can see neding a specific tool every now and then for a class of products, but not one specific to a single component when other common systems would do the job. Fug.

So, who makes one? Bueller? Bueller? A bolt/extractor cap, I mean.
    I'm not sure exactly, but you might want to try biketoolsetc.com . I got a toll called the "Shimano freehub tool made by EVT that is used to remove the inner bearing race on Shimano rear hubs so you can overhaul the inner bearings and pawls.(I know this is off subject slightly, but I brought it up because i couldn't find a tool like that anywhere else-maybe you will have the same fortune) T he procedure for the hub overhaul is at icebike.org.(put "winterizing your freehubs in their search) Hope you find your tool.---zarr

No, that's not phonetic
    Does a full retail purchase of the cranks come with the tool TL-FC35? I wonder. I cannot find reference to the full box contents anywhere handy. Some sets on eBay show the tool in the item pics but then the description states the tools are not included. Weird.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Full retail should come with the extraction tool and another piece to aid in the setting of bearing preload.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    My order from Chain Reaction neither came with. The escalated help I got from them the real "tech" guy said none of them do. Which of course is false. I have a rant somewhere on it. But, when ordering the Crankset be sure that it is included before you buy. I don't buy Chain Reaction now after that experience. Twass cheap though.