Rip Van Winkle

Oh Shimano pedals?

Has Shimano just run out of innovation with their clipless pedals? The XT-Deore range has virtually no real gains in performance, no more than 30 grams and no light weight materials. XTR is supposed to be so light that it's unreliable for everyday use. It's time to get new pedals and I'm going with the m540's just b/c I do not see any reason to lose 27 grams and pay double. Can anyone tell me I'm wrong?

i call it a kaiser blade
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Restoman
    Has Shimano just run out of innovation with their clipless pedals? The XT-Deore range has virtually no real gains in performance, no more than 30 grams and no light weight materials. XTR is supposed to be so light that it's unreliable for everyday use. It's time to get new pedals and I'm going with the m540's just b/c I do not see any reason to lose 27 grams and pay double. Can anyone tell me I'm wrong?
    i made the same observation a few weeks ago.

my m520s are identical to my xt pedals, save that the xt have sealed bearings and weigh a tiny bit less. for the 'durability' advantage i'd rather just buy two pairs of 520s. they work the same and most of the components are identical.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    XTR is supposed to be so light that it's unreliable for everyday use
    Where did you hear this? I've been using XTR pedals for over a year with no problems for XC to AM riding, 200lb rider and they still spin smoothly. Haven't done any maintenance on them yet.

They are light, but not that light. 325g for the XTR vs sub 200g for some really light pedals (CB 4Ti).

But, given that my 540's and 525's are still going strong (both 3+ years) it's hard to justify the XTR's. I do like the sealed bearings, but IIRC the XT has sealed bearings too.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    XTR pedals are an exception to the light/race only category. I have used them for years and they work fine for AM & XC use. And I am sure the XT's work well too.

But if you beg hard enough, I am sure Shimano will design something new that won't work better, and they will charge you a lot more than today's prices.

Rip Van Winkle
    In reference to the XTR statement I made. The XTR line should be pushed harder. Weight should be sub 200 grams, function should be so intricate that it will take 2 years to trickle down to the XT line. Bottom line it should try harder.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I mis-read your initial post, I thought you said the XTR were too light to be reliable.

The XTR line should be pushed harder.
    No disagreement on that. That being said, they aren't terribly expensive and work very well.

The CB 4 Ti's are almost 4x the price to get the sub 200g pedal.

But even the CB stainless model is under 300g for around the same price as the XTR pedal. It would be nice to see shimano get it abit lighter.

I also find the shimano's more rosbust than the eggbeaters. And, as a personal preference, I like the engagement on the shimano's better.

Can anyone tell me I'm wrong?
    No, unless you come on over to the weight weenies sub forum.
    Last edited by civil; 03-15-2009 at 07:38 PM.