mtbr member
    Jan 2004

offroad-viable internally geared hubs?

Can anyone tell me which hubs, apart from the proven Rohloff Speedhub, are viable for offroad use? How about the new SRAM 9sp deal that's supposed to come out soon? Any others?
    undefined Absolutely must have: Black Machine Tech Zeroflex brake levers (the ones with the rotating leverage adjuster)

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    None.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Bummer. Those Rohloffs cost some serious dough. Plus it seems like they might result in a somewhat tail-heavy bike.
    undefined Absolutely must have: Black Machine Tech Zeroflex brake levers (the ones with the rotating leverage adjuster)

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Try one. Nobody ever added weight to the rear of their bike to counter all these heavy suspension forks.
    speedub.nate
    ˇ MTBR Hiatus UFN ˇ

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I suppose that's true. But I am thinking of a bike with a rigid fork.
    I guess these questions have been asked before, but here goes...
    -How does the Speedhub work for a 29er setup? I mean, is the gear ratio low enough at the lowest to get a low ratio for climbing?
    -Are there gear ratio choices, or is there only one choice?
    -Is there are choice of shifter, maybe something aftermarket? I am not too into twist shifters, and Rohloff hasn't changed their twist shifter design in a long time.
    -How fast is engagement on the rear hub?
    -And of course the big question, and probably the one dedicated Speedhub users have the greatest difficulty answering: why not go with a superlight King hub, X.0 rear derailleur, and XTR cassette, and no front derailleur and end up with a setup which is maybe two pounds lighter than the Rohloff? (Yes I know, I just asked about how low I could get the gera ratio on the Rohloffm and now am talking about ditching gears up front... but just thinking...)
    Tim

On MTBR hiatus :(
    -How does the Speedhub work for a 29er setup? I mean, is the gear ratio low enough at the lowest to get a low ratio for climbing?

Fine. Rohloff's lowest permitted gear ratio approximates an 22x32 setup, but I and many others have gone much lower with no ill effects. You can easily gear this lower than the gearing a 34T cassette would provide, and even make up for the 10% gearing difference inherent in the larger wheel size.

But remember, the highest gear follows the lowest gear. Every percent you add to the low end is subtracted from the top end.

Mix and match Rohloff 15T, 16T, 17T and 13T cogs with your chainring of choice. 2.35:1 is Rohloff's lowest recommended, but this applies equally to solo riders and Pro tandem teams.

A 22x34 combo on a 26" bike is 16.8 gear inches.
    A 22x34 combo on a 29" bike is 18.8 gear inches.
    A 34x17 Speedhub on a 29"er is 16.3 gear inches on the low end.
    A 38x16 Speedhub on a 29"er is 19.3 gear inches on the low end.

Play with the gear calculator at SheldonBrown.com to try other combos.

-Is there are choice of shifter, maybe something aftermarket? I am not too into twist shifters, and Rohloff hasn't changed their twist shifter design in a long time.

No, not now. I keep hearing rumors that both Rohloff and an aftermarket company will have triggers available soon. Enough non-Speedhub riders are turned off enough by twisters that it would be in Rohloff's interest to come up with something.

But the twister works well. You can twist through a full range of gears in the blink of an eye, something not possible with triggers OR with derailleurs.

Not fast enough. It mirrors the engagement points of the older Shimano rear hubs (eight I think? Not sure). Not instant engagement like a King.

-And of course the big question, and probably the one dedicated Speedhub users have the greatest difficulty answering: why not go with a superlight King hub, X.0 rear derailleur, and XTR cassette, and no front derailleur and end up with a setup which is maybe two pounds lighter than the Rohloff?

The extra pound plus over a conventional setup doesn't bother me. I love the instant shifting, the generous gear range, the lack of maintenance and adjustments. You're right, a weight weenie contemplating a 1x9 wouldn't touch a Speedhub.

I figure we have a ton of choices that add weight to a bike, but we accept for what they bring: suspension forks, rear suspension, fat tires, steering dampers, retracting seatposts... seems most who get ahold of the Speedhub think the weight is a fair trade for the reliability it comes with. I certainly don't hate derailleurs, but I'd rather not use one given the choice.
    speedub.nate
    ˇ MTBR Hiatus UFN ˇ

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by uphiller
    As Nate Said...

I've seen some trigger protos (DIY versions), and in most cases, they have gone back to the twist shifters. Because the indexing is in the hub, and you can span as many gears as you want in one twist, it just makes sense.

Between shifts, engagement is almost instant. As for ratcheting, it depends on the gear, some are better than Shimano (18 points) and some worse - I think gear 5 was so bad that I could not get the bike to ratchet up a skinny.

-And of course the big question, and probably the one dedicated Speedhub users have the greatest difficulty answering: why not go with a superlight King hub, X.0 rear derailleur, and XTR cassette, and no front derailleur and end up with a setup which is maybe two pounds lighter than the Rohloff?
    The difference is probably closer tot 4lb. Maybe 5lb. I had a King hub, 9.0sl dérailleur, XTR cassette. Exploded the dérailleur when I picked up a log. Didn't shift when packed with mud or ice (or both). Folded the second largest cog on the cassette. Also, with no front dérailleur, your gear range is only half of the Rohloff. I don't mind the weight of the Rohloff (even on a rigid bike), and if I want to ride light, I take out my Single Speed.

If you want lighter, you could wait for the "lite" version, if it ever comes out. One thing about Rohloff as a company, they have never rushed any product out.

As for other hubs, as Shiggy says, there are none that are certified for off-road use (and certainly none as sturdy as the Rohloff). But several of us are using some of the other hubs on trails, with mixed success. So far the Shimano red-band Nexus / Alfine appears to be holding up the best, but I would not recommend it if you do any drops or DH'ing.
    Last edited by itsdoable; 03-28-2007 at 07:38 AM.

Baby Bear is in the house

Shimano says Alfine OK for offroad XC

To revive an OLD thread...

http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/index....show_bike=TRUE

Quote Originally Posted by uphiller
    Can anyone tell me which hubs, apart from the proven Rohloff Speedhub, are viable for offroad use? How about the new SRAM 9sp deal that's supposed to come out soon? Any others?
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.