mtbr member
    May 2006

OEM Truvativ MEGA-EXO GXP BB quality questions

I recently bought a DEMO bike, It came with a Bontrager crank with a Truvativ GXP Mega-exo Bottom Bracket. I first had problems with the non drive side bolt backing out. It would happen on EVERY ride, most of the time 2-3 times during the ride. (I would stop pull out my allen multi tool crank it down, then go 5 miles and do it again.)

I took it to the shop and had it warrantied. They gave me some credit to a new crank. I spent the extra money and bought a Deore XT crank set. They lock tighted the nut down so I could ride until the XT stuff comes in.

TODAY when I went for a ride the crank stayed tight but now the BB bearings are making tons of noise. It feels like there is sand in the bearings.

My question for you, IS truvativ junk? Or did I get a Lemon crankset? This Bontrager RACE GXP crankset MSRP is 199. Honestly, i think the new Deore LX is better than this for less money.

sorry for the cross post. I originally put it in the SRAM section but nobody seems to go there. Mods...if you could please delete the post in the SRAM section, I could not figure out how.

mtbr member
    My wife and I have Truvativ Stylo cranks on 2 bikes and they have been flawless...but, I have read plenty of stories of crank arms falling off. My guess is that whoever is doing the assembly is not tightening the bolt down to the correct torque...I installed both of the Truvativ cranks we have using a torque wrench and have had zero issues.