mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Odd size CHAINRINGS?

...n e body know who makes a 28 or 30-tooth ring to fit 104/64 cranks?

bored ex-shop rat

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead!

The 104mm BCD is not less than 32T available, with the 64mm BCD makes Specialites TA a 28T and 30T ring (chinook models),
    and Gebhardt makes them too,but I am not sure thats available in US

ups and downs
    If you can find a 5 arm compact 58/94mm crankset you have middle ring choices down to 29T. Another reason why people have lamented the passing of the 5 arm 58/94mm compact crank.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    i use the 30t extralite on my 104mm-4 cranks - they require some modification to the crank tabs though so the chain clears.

boone makes a 31t for the 102mm M960 xtr.

also action tec makes ti chainrings for the 64mm granny gear position from 20 to 28t options as does specialites TA (my personal favorite chainring) as previously mentioned

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by gratiflying
    i use the 30t extralite on my 104mm-4 cranks - they require some modification to the crank tabs though so the chain clears.

boone makes a 31t for the 102mm M960 xtr.

also action tec makes ti chainrings for the 64mm granny gear position from 20 to 28t options as does specialites TA (my personal favorite chainring) as previously mentioned
    ..thanks...I'm running a specialties TA 28t 74 BCD on my old Raceface next lp crank on my 1 x 9 set-up. My girl just got a Jamis Dakar w/ a 104/64 BCD and decided to go 1 x 9 as well - actually, prompted this post. I found a Raceface 26t that'll suit her needs. We're pretty much on turtle-pace and like the technical climbs here in the northeast (NY). Thanks to all that helped - Happy Holidays to y'all and I hope there's a BSN (brand-spankin' new) MTB component for you under that tree.....

NMBP
    Boone also makes a 104 31 tooth. At least they did at one time. I have read that it has become very difficult to get chainrings from Boone.

gratiflying, are you using the 30 tooth extralite as a middle ring, or the small ring in a 2 X 9?
    Riding Fat and still just as fast as I never was.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    30T extralite is on a 1x9. it's non-ramped and obviously sits in the middle ring position.

jrm
    mtbr member

Mind me askin..

Quote Originally Posted by gratiflying
    30T extralite is on a 1x9. it's non-ramped and obviously sits in the middle ring position.
    Im using a M760 104x 64 crankset with a 20T granny, 32T middle ring and a bash guard on a 29er FS bike.

So the 30T extralite chainring sits where my 32T now sits....
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

No longer 26
    Where can I find the Specialties TA Chinooks in the US / online? I can not seem to come up with anything when I search.

Thanks
    G
    You can't depend on honest answers from dependant hands...

bored ex-shop rat

Cycle Solutions
    Thanks that answers my question too. I've been looking for a 28tooth 4 bolt with a 64mm BCD cause I'm converting my 970 cranks to a dual ring setup but want to use the two inner mounting points to bring the chainline in so I can run a 12-27 DuraAce 9 speed cassette with short cage rear derailleur (I'll be running a 28/42 setup). Looks like I might be able to pull it off. Now I just need to find a cool carbon cover or something that will fit on the outer mounting point.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by velopax
    ....hmmmm, I checked that link and they only carry 28t TAs on 74 BCD. So far I've only found a 26t in 64 BCD by Raceface at Cambria and Action-tec does make a Ti 28t version on 64 BCD as well but for $105, it's hard on my wallet. Anyone else got sources?.....

Cycle Solutions
    I just emailed TA, we'll see if you can deal with them direct. They have a 64mm 28 in the Chinook series of rings. I also saw the Action-Tech Ti ring but yeah $110 is ridiculous. Fail safe is that truvative actually make a low end one. It is for commuter style triple cranks and can be ordered at any bike shop.