Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Odd feeling while pedaling in certain gear

833 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  gilbertlikesbikes 
#1 ·
I have a brand new 2010 GF Paragon with external bearings and the Shimano crank that comes with it.

When I am in the biggest cog in the front, and the 2nd smallest cog in the rear, I can feel an odd bumpy/grinding feeling in the crank while pedaling. The grinding does not feel gritty. My first assumption was the pedals, but I can put the bike in the stand and push the crank without touching the pedals, and I still notice it. It is more pronounced when I am riding the bike in this gear.

Could this be the bearings? or something else? I confirmed that the chain is not hitting the derailleur.

Please let me know if you have any ideas. Thanks.

#6 ·
Couple things, possibly.

It can take a few rides for a new chain to break in with the teeth of the new gears.

The chain may be slightly rubbing the next higher cog, or be slightly out of alignment and most noticeable in that gear - turn the shifter barrel adjust 1/2 turn out, or 1/2 turn in from where it is to see f it eliminates the the feel and still shifts easily in all gears.

If not done yet, clean the new chain grease off the chain completely with a citrus cleaner or Rock and Roll brand cleaner, let it dry thoroughly, and apply a good quality chain lube a couple times to soak in well.

It probably just needs a little more break in time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.