Down South Yooper

Octalink BB Road vs. Mtn = Different?

So, I picked up a pair of cannondale 2x cranks recently, figured they'd be great for my 'round the town KM in 2x9 configuration. I have several Octalink BB's around, should be no problem, right?

Well, they got here today, and they don't fit any of the octalink BB's I have. I tried them on two different LX and one XT BB, and the splines don't even begin to engage. It looks like they were previously pushed on to an incorrect or misaligned spline, as there is a little marring of the front of the spline, but it's not that bad. The splines in the crank look notably smaller than the splines on the BB spindle.

So, the question is, are the shimano road BB's a different spline than the mtn BB's? I didn't think they were, as people have been mixing and matching to get their chainlines correct. I know I've heard of people using ultegras on XTR I think, especially in 2x or SS configs for chainline.

Any advice?

Thanks.

Plum
    This post is in 3B, three beers and it looks good eh!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yes there are two versions of Octalink bottom brackets and cranks.

V1 = road and XTR mountain - shorter splines

V2 - Deore, LX, XT mountain - longer splines

The splines also have slightly different profiles.

PS You could call the later LX V2.5 Shimano changed the crank arms so that they could not be used with XT bottom brackets- they require a much longer axle than any of the other crank arms.
    I bike; therefore, I work

Down South Yooper

Thanks

OK, I guess I'm on the hunt for an Ultegra or XTR BB then.

Thanks.

Jason
    This post is in 3B, three beers and it looks good eh!