mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Now that Jonnisnot is discontinued, what grease to use instead?

I spoke with someone at SRAM who confirmed that Jonnisnot grease has been discontinued (which explained why I couldn't find it at any of the places that usually carried it.) Now that this is the case, what can be used in it's place in similar situations to ensure that plastics are not degraded (which is the danger of using many other greases)? I liked this grease both for the fact that it was safe on plastics as well as the fact that it was super "sticky" -- i.e. it lasted a LOT longer than other grease in situations prone to "wearing through" the grease.

I read somewhere that Jonnisnot grease was actually developed for some sort of use on bridges -- does anyone know if the same formulation is sold under a different name?

Thanks,

Larry

conjoinicorned
    http://www.super-lube.com/

guaranteed plastic safe.
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

I Love my Rize

This is what you want

I have been using this on my X9 twisters for a coupla years and is the exact same as the previous Jon grease.

https://www.cleverconcepts.net/finis....com/index.php gripshift lube can still be had so buy a coulpa tubes and you will be set. Good stuff.
    Early to bed early to RIZE makes a man healthy, wealthy <(scratch that) and wize.

RIGHTY on a LEFTY

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Thanks for the responses.

Quote Originally Posted by danoalb
    I have been using this on my X9 twisters for a coupla years and is the exact same as the previous Jon grease.

https://www.cleverconcepts.net/finis....com/index.php gripshift lube can still be had so buy a coulpa tubes and you will be set. Good stuff.
    I was hoping to find something that I could continue to get. From the sound of that website, it sounds like this is discontinued as well, and will be sold out eventually.

Thanks,

Larry

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I saw a website that recmmended using Vaseline. I have tried it in my shifters and seems fine. Dirt cheap and can be bought at any Chemist or supermarket.

I tried to find Jonnisnot but had no luck. They shops I tried had never heard of it.

For my info how was it pronouced? I said it like "Johhny's Snot" but I can not imagine a company called a product a name like that.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by chris-crisis
    I saw a website that recmmended using Vaseline. I have tried it in my shifters and seems fine. Dirt cheap and can be bought at any Chemist or supermarket.
    Vaseline can definitely break down certain materials, so I'd be very weary of using it for this.

I tried to find Jonnisnot but had no luck. They shops I tried had never heard of it.

For my info how was it pronouced? I said it like "Johhny's Snot" but I can not imagine a company called a product a name like that.
    I just pronounce it like it's spelled, i.e. "Johnny-Snot." I agree -- pretty unusual name for such a "normal" product.

Larry

ups and downs
    Shimano has "Special Cable Grease" which must be that green stuff that they preload inside their SIS cable housing kits.

mtbr member
    slick honey?

Weird huh?

whatever

I use slick honey. My XOs grippies will wear out long before some unapproved grease degrades the plastic. I've had them on for 3 years.
    And don't do the burrito jump... Francois

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by danoalb

I just ordered some. Hopefully it is still in stock, but I have my doubts.

I also just talked to a lady from SRAM who said "just use a heavy grease." I asked her if there are any elements such as Teflon or lithium that would be damaging to the plastic and she said again, "just use heavy grease." "Thank you," I said.

Hmmmmmm..... Slick Honey is not heavy at all, it won't stick to the plastic like the Jonnisnot does. Anybody have any other suggestions if the Finish Line order falls through? Phil waterproof bearing grease is pretty thick.
    Last edited by Chasintrane; 09-24-2009 at 10:59 AM.

G33K1N73HP1NK
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by chris-crisis View Post

Im not 100% sure but I think it came out when John Tomac was making a comeback and was sponsored by Sram in the mid 90s. I think Johnny Snot was supposed to be linked to Johnny Tomac.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I use the Shimano Dura ace grease - no issues, I think they call it Dura ace so they can get away with charging $10 for a little pot of it