mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Not sure about 10speed on this bike

The bike in question is Apollo Aspire http://www.apollobikes.com.au/bikes11/sport/aspire. We are considering it for all-around duties - from commuting to XC/AM riding. The drivetrain is:
    ------
    Crankset: Shimano M-552-10 42 x 32 x 22T SML, MED (170m), LGE, XL (175mm)
    Bottom Bracket: Shimano cartridge with external bearings
    FD Shimano SLX DYNA-SYS, 3 x 10 speed
    RD Shimano SLX DYNA-SYS shadow 10 speed
    Shifters Shimano 3 x 10 speed trigger shift
    Cassette Shimano SLX DYNA-SYS 11-34T
    Chain KMC
    ---------
    Not a complete info, but a couple of questions there:

(1) The bike has less gear range than typical 9speed MTB, because of smaller big chainring. So, not only the components are thinner than 9speed (wear or break faster or easier), probably fidlier to adjust, they are not doing the same job. I realise that it's just ~5% lower gearing on the very top, but still.. Do I miss something here, or is this just a marketing exercise? Frankly, I'd be happier seeing 2x10 setup here instead, with 11-36 cassette.

(2) Should we consider replacing chain with Shimano with powerlink, or Sram - I'm not sure about KMC?
    regards

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Shimano have missed the boat with 10sp a bit. The reduced gear ratios really seem like the wrong way to go, although most people won't be in the large enough to notice the reduction in gearing.

KMC are IMO better chains than normal Shimano. Actually, KMC contract manufacture chains for shimano, so no quality issues there.
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"