Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Not quite chain suck

484 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  dan0 
#1 ·
Cant figure this one out.

New '06 Fisher 293. m960 XTR crankset, used but inspected by local shops, looks good, new Deore f derailleur, new Shimano HG53 chain, new XTR cassette, a year old X.0 rear derailleur. Some new stuff with the bike, some stuff moved over from a previous bike. I know this invites drivetrain issues, but geez, this is wierd.

Every time I start a ride, I get a wierd kind of chain suck when in the granny gear. The chain is quiet and smooth, and I am not trying to shift, but seemingly randomly the middle ring picks up the chain as it is coming off bottom of the small ring and holds onto the chain until it wraps up the rear of the middle ring and binds up the drivetrain. Usually happens when I am on the pedals hard. I hope that makes sense.

It usually goes away after some fine tuning of the front derailleur cable tension. But it has to be spot on. I had this problem in the past with a cheesy Cannondale crankset, and I had to file down a couple of sloppy ramps.

My current theory is that it is the HG53 chain. Perhaps after it wears it will lose some of its sharp edges and be less prone to this. Maybe I need to double check my chain for a pin sticking out esp where I broke/ reinstalled it - again. Any ideas?

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.