CAO
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004

NOS 8 Speed Crankset

I am looking for a new 8 speed crankset to replace and older set of MRC but am having trouble finding anyone with old stock of nice cranks. Have you seen any 8 spd cranks just sitting at your lbs or while cruising an online shop. Thanks for any tips.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CAO
    I am looking for a new 8 speed crankset to replace and older set of MRC but am having trouble finding anyone with old stock of nice cranks. Have you seen any 8 spd cranks just sitting at your lbs or while cruising an online shop. Thanks for any tips.
    9 spd will work just fine with your 8spd setup. otherwise, that auction place often has NOS raceface and shimano cranks go for reasonable amounts. I got some NOS raceface turbine arms for a great price.

Also, check out places like cambriabike.com, pricepoint, universal & bikeman's attic..
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

Do It Yourself
    Unless you're trying to maintain that retro look, the new Shimano cranks work fine with 8 speed. The new LX is a great bargin.
    Long Live Long Rides

CAO
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Homebrew
    Unless you're trying to maintain that retro look, the new Shimano cranks work fine with 8 speed.
    Yah the irrational side of me wants to keep the vintage look on this bike. Its my favorite racing hardtail, a pre-trek Klein, that still sees occasional duty. Last time out the lowers on the 98 Sid cracked, and trying to find a good 63-70mm travel fork for a replacement was fun. Now the cranksarms are coming loose after 30mins of riding. I'd love to find some new raceface or similar 8spd crankarms. If some shop still has them I'd prefer to do business with them otherwise I will continue to watch that auction place.

Freshly Fujified

Another source

Quote Originally Posted by CAO
    Yah the irrational side of me wants to keep the vintage look on this bike. Its my favorite racing hardtail, a pre-trek Klein, that still sees occasional duty. Last time out the lowers on the 98 Sid cracked, and trying to find a good 63-70mm travel fork for a replacement was fun. Now the cranksarms are coming loose after 30mins of riding. I'd love to find some new raceface or similar 8spd crankarms. If some shop still has them I'd prefer to do business with them otherwise I will continue to watch that auction place.
    Jones Bikes in Long Beach California (they sell on the auction site) is a great place for this type of product. They seem to have a good resource for NOS 8, 7, and at times 6 speed gear.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

CAO
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Call_me_Clyde
    Jones Bikes in Long Beach California (they sell on the auction site) is a great place for this type of product. They seem to have a good resource for NOS 8, 7, and at times 6 speed gear.

Bob
    Thank you for the tip, I looked at there listings but did not see any mtb cranks...losts of sweet vintage campy stuff. So I call them on Monday and hopefully they have some floating in there store.

Ebo
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Good source. I picked up a NOS Shimano XT M737 180mm 8 spd crankset from them last year for $90. Might call them if you don't see what you're looking for on that auction site.