Got Trails?

Is this normal? Read Derialleur Question???

I have had this xt for 1 season now & never really noticed how it looks in the gears. While cleaning it off today I thought that it looked a little funny. When I put it on the largest chainring upfront & the largest out back this is what I got (see pics). I also included pics of the derialleur in the middle & first (or smallest) chainring as reference.
    Is this a normal position for the RD or is something screwed up? The chain is new, I just put it on over the winter & I sized it to match my old chain so I dont think it is that, then again I have been wrong before. When the chain is on the largest chainring it feels pretty tight & as it drops down to the middle & small rings it obviously loosens up.
    Smallest chainring

Middle Chainring

Largest Chainring

Thanks for the help in advance.
    I Fear No Beer

mtbr member

Looks fine to me.

Your last picture is a great example why you should never ride in the big/big gear combo.

banned
    Sep 2005
    Looks correct to me.

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

Derailleur Looks Fine..

But you could use an inch or two more housing. That is a pretty tight bend and I can't imagine that it shifts all that smoothly.

I think the big-big thing looks neater with a short cage though(pic to follow)

Got Trails?
    The housing is a little short however it shifts smoothly. I am getting new housing today I just haven't really had the time to change it.
    I Fear No Beer

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Perfectly normal, but ....

What you are doing is crosschaining. Big no no. This causes unnecessary strain and premature wear of your entire drivetrain.

Even though you have a 9x3 drivetrain giving you 27 possible combinations, you really only have 15 different gear ratios. You should try to stick to this practice:

Small chainring - use five largest rear cogs
    Middle chainring - use middle five cogs
    Large chainring - use smallest five cogs

This yields all the possible gear ratios available to you as the others will only be duplicates of these. This will also make your drivetrain last longer. Also, if your bike is a FS and you ride in big-big combo, you run the risk of breaking your chain under travel depending on the suspension design. In this case, pray that it's just your chain that breaks.

Duc

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Quote Originally Posted by Shayne
    ...you could use an inch or two more housing.
    Good observation. I'd suggest an Avid Rollamajig to smooth out that transition.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

Got Trails?
    I never ride in the big chainring, I was just going through the gears to clean it. I actually never even leave the middle chainring unless I am in a big climb. For that I drop down to the smallest chainring. I usually leave the read between 1-5.
    I Fear No Beer

Quote Originally Posted by ironbike1
    I never ride in the big chainring, I was just going through the gears to clean it. I actually never even leave the middle chainring unless I am in a big climb. For that I drop down to the smallest chainring. I usually leave the read between 1-5.
    Yeah, don't fret, what you see in your third photo perfectly jives with the big-big chain sizing rule...

speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

Got Trails?
    Avid rollamajig???

I was just going to go to my LBS in a few minutes to pick up about 1' of derialleur housing.

Speedub.nate: That is the same illustration I used to make sure I had the correct length aswell as using the old chain.
    I Fear No Beer

Yeah, the Rollamajig is a pulley that eliminates the bend required by Shimano derailleurs.

speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I think when the derailleur is positioned for small-small looks as weird or weirder than big-big. I wonder which illegal combination gets shifted into by accident more?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Show us a picture of small ring to small ring.

It looks only a shade tight to me, but if the RD is fully folded on small small then all is good.

mtbr member
    If you were running a 1 x 9 or something then that would not be normal. For a 3 x 9 it's perfectly normal.

In the small chainring I only ever used the first 2 gears. In the middle I used them all and in the big I generally used only the last 2. Needless to say I'm running 1x9 now.
    [SIZE="2"]Life's a bi&*h & then you Ride![/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by glenk
    I think when the derailleur is positioned for small-small looks as weird or weirder than big-big. I wonder which illegal combination gets shifted into by accident more?
    The difference, of course, being that when shifted in to small-small with too much chain, the chain simply goes slack and drops off.

Compared to too little chain and big-big, which results in a trashed drivetrain and expensive repairs.

I imagine if we ever see 36T cassettes, we'll also see "XL" cage deraillerus? SGGS? SGSG?
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Never use small front small back, but I do use big front big back.

How much is my fine?

Got Trails?
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott
    Show us a picture of small ring to small ring.

It looks only a shade tight to me, but if the RD is fully folded on small small then all is good.
    everything runs smooth now. I got a new housing & cable for it & readjusted everything. It is shifting a lot smoother then before. I thought about getting that Rollamajig but I have heard a lot of bad news about them.

As for what gears I ride in well like I said before when I am running a flat trail with or without obstacles I am in the middle chainring & usually the 4th or 5th outback. When I am riding up a big hill/MT. I drop it to the 1st chainring & anywhere between 1-5 outback depending on the size of the climb.
    I always keep the chain straight no matter what gear setting I am in. If it is not straight it puts a lot of strain on the drivetrain. 1 of the guys I ride with went through 2 RD's in 1 season because he would always shift gears on the RD rather then FD. He would ride on the 1st or 2nd chainring then just shift all over the place on the RD depending on terrain. He learned quickly.
    I Fear No Beer