mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Is this normaL??

Just got my self a new bike 13' rockhopper comp. I notice when shifting gears (rear) quickly, its like the drivetrain is shocked thus causing my feet to slip of the pedals.

Was going to clean the chain but was told not to and leave the "stock" oil that is on there.

Also is there a way to shorten the throw for the front derailleur?

mtbr member
    There is a difference between cleaning the chain and just lubricating it. I would not de-lubricate it if it still has the stock oil on it, but I would add normal lube on top if it feels gummy. How old is this chain and did the symptoms start when getting it? If they did and the bike is older, it could be due to the chain being new and the gears being worn.

Otherwise sounds like the rear derailleur may be a minor adjustment off center either high or low, which is a simple adjustment of the little thumb adjuster on the body where the cable pokes into the unit. A couple clicks plus or minus and a test drive should tell you if that makes a difference.
    '93 Giant Sedona ATX custom
    '93 Giant Sedona AtX aero-edition
    '73 Schwinn Suburban
    '95 Fuji Suncrest

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Bike is brand new from LBS. Could it be that it just needs to break in? Since I'm still newbie I don't know if the sounds it makes are normal or not.

Just rode it around the neighborhood, and it clunks while changing gears most of the time. When it does clunk it's like the pedal become free spin for a split sec, as if the chain has to catch up. This is when my foot will loose grip. If I slow my rpm enough it will shift silently. I know I'm new at this. But all the YouTube vids I've seen their drivetrain hardly makes noise

Just rode it around the neighborhood and changing gears it clunk so

I do notice that I have to slow my pedal speed (cadence?) and not apply as much tq when shifting the crank/front gears.
    Last edited by Djstorm100; 04-05-2013 at 07:34 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Is this normaL??

Well it was rear derailleur and my lack of knowledge on correct shifting technique.