mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Noob needs read derailleur recommendations

I just bought a super clean used Specialized Womens Expedition Sport for my wife so we could start riding some local bike paths in our neighborhood. We had our first ride tonight, and after we returned to the truck, I was loading my bike when I heard a crash. I turned around to see my wife's new bike lying on the pavement. We were parked on an incline and she had put the kickstand down on the uphill side of the bike, after which the law of gravity took over. So now the damage report is in, and the crash creamed the derailleur hanger and busted the rear derailleur to a non-repairable state. The recently demised derailleur was a Shimano Acera, and the bike is a 24 speed. Since a busted part is also an opportunity to upgrade, I thought I'd ask your recommendations for a new rear derailleur. I was not thrilled with the easily busted plastic parts used in the Acera, and would like something a little tougher, as I foresee more opportunities for gravity to do its thing in the future.

Former Bike Wrench
    Shimano Deore will work great and is quite durable...without breaking the bank

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Many thanks. A quick search on ebay reveals that there are various types of Deore rear derailleurs. Long cage, short cage, XT, LX, etc. The distance between the two cogs on the busted derailleur is 2.0625" (2 and 1/16") . Does that make it a long cage or short cage? And should I look for an XT, LX, etc.?

~Disc~Golf~
    That's why you shouldn't use a kickstand
    Honestly... ahh I give up

Former Bike Wrench
    Just plain Deore...long cage. The RD-M510 model can be found cheap on closeout and is very durable and reliable

local trails rider
    That is not the only reason why you should not have a kick stand on a bike that is used on trails...

I'd go a step above plain Deore, unless money is tight. LX , SLX or XT (this year's LX is a hybrid/city group set). If the bike has three chainrings, go for long cage.

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by perttime
    That is not the only reason why you should not have a kick stand on a bike that is used on trails...

I'd go a step above plain Deore, unless money is tight. LX , SLX or XT (this year's LX is a hybrid/city group set). If the bike has three chainrings, go for long cage.

Really? The REAR derailleur was Acera meaning the rest of the components are probably sub-Acera (which is bottom of the barrel). You would really recommend someone spend $80-$110 on a rear derailleur?

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    You would really recommend someone spend $80-$110 on a rear derailleur?
    You don't have to pay that kind of money for an LX/SLX/XT rear derailer if you look around a bit.

I did not think the plain Deore I had on one bike was any better than the Acera I had on another.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by perttime
    Again, my sincere thanks. Now about this "low/normal high/normal" thing. I've not been able to determine which the Acera was, but the bike has twist grip shifters and I want to keep the actual gears consistent with the gear indicators. So would that mean I need a "high/normal" regular Deore long cage?

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by jfenn
    ..."low/normal high/normal" thing...
    So would that mean I need a "high/normal" regular Deore long cage?
    That always has me confused too. I don't think I've had a Shimano derailer since that choice became available. Checking my favorite web shop.... Yes: "low-normal" or "Rapid Rise" is the ones that shift in the "wrong" direction. You want "high-normal".

Deore should work fine, but if you happen to find a deal on a couple of years old LX or XT (NIB), it may be more affordable than this year's plain Deore .

Long cage is always a safe choice: it has enough capacity to take up chain slack.

Members who have read this thread: 0