mtbr member

noob needs help with 7speed to 9 speed conversion

been trolling on these boards for a while, and thought I had gathered enough info to know that my bike could easly be swtiched to a 9 speed from a stock 7 speed.

I have a 2010 Specialized Hardrock. I believe I saw posts that if your bike has plastic spacers in between the rear cogs then it should be an 8/9 speed hub with 7 speed on it. Mine does so I thought I was all good.

I picked up used SRAM X7 shifter set, X9 front derailleur, X9 rear derailleur, sram 990 cassette and 991 chain. I thought I was all good but pulled the rear stock 7 speed off and the 9 speed is just barely to thick to screw tight. Am I doing something wrong or do I need a new hub/rim?

I hope not cause I budgeted out on all the other gear I bought.

TIA!

Fat-tired Roadie
    There are spacers between the cogs on all cassettes. In an installation of a 7-speed cassette on an 8/9-speed hub, there would be an additional spacer between the largest cog and the hub. It would most likely not be attached to the cassette - just slipped on first.

Did your bike have that spacer? On other threads concerning the '10 Hardrock and that upgrade, it's sounded like Specialized did actually get freehubs sized for a 7-speed cassette.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Sounds like 7sp freehub. Post a pic or two, one with original cog and one without, then pople here can determine it for your...

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by eleminohpee
    ... I believe I saw posts that if your bike has plastic spacers in between the rear cogs then it should be an 8/9 speed hub with 7 speed on it. ....
    Surely you haven't seen that posted. If so, it's a mistake.

Those plastic guards come on all bikes (that I have seen).

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I think he's referring to a plastic ring on freehub, not the spoke protector plastic disc thingy.