= dirt torpedo =
    Oct 2005

noob crankset question

hey guys..

sort of a noob question..
    i currently have a 3-ring XT crankset, i never use my little ring and 90% of the time i'm on my big ring. Every now and again i shift down to the middle ring for a tougher climb.

so, i thought about switching to a single ring, or 2-ring crankset. Single ring + bashgurad sounds killer, no front derailleur, less moving parts, less weight.

what are the advantages for doing so? are there any limitations?
    any people out there, riding an XC hardtail setup with a single or 2-ring, that can share any experiences or thoughts?

thanks a lot in advance
    cheers.

pain don't hurt

Cross-chaining?

Are you going through all the rear gears and remaining in the large or middle ring up front? If you're using the whole range of rear gears, you should also be using all three front rings as well. It's unusual to be using the big ring so much on the trail.

pain don't hurt

another thought

That being said, if you are shifting properly, there's no need to have rings you don't use anyway. Most times people will eliminate just the large ring and replace it with a bashguard.

= dirt torpedo =
    Oct 2005
    my shifting technique probably isn't totally correct.
    i'm pretty careful about cross-chaining, and usually on the trails and city commutes i just stay on the large ring and shift between 4-5 rear gears in the higher range (trying to haul as much ass as my legs will allow).. if there is a tough climb, i drop to the middle ring and again shift between 4-5 rear gears.. .all the while trying to stay aware of not cross-chaining.

I haven't hit any super steep, super long climbs that required the small ring up front. Hence my wondering if having 3 rings up front is just useless for me.

your replies are providing some food for thought..
    any more insight?

cheers.

Yer a noob, but don't need a granny...you should be racing or climbing steeper stuff...
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

= dirt torpedo =
    Oct 2005
    point well taken man..
    work'll ease up in 2 weeks, then it's back to the trails!

what kind of shifting habbits do some of you guys have?
    would be interesting to hear.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    sorry for the noob questions, but what is cross chaining? i'm going to guess its being on opposite sides of the rings and cassete front to back? is that wrong?

i find i use my middle ring 99.9% of the time.. i'm thinking about ditching the big ring for a bashguard to gain some ground clearance

= dirt torpedo =
    Oct 2005
    you guessed right... and yes, it's not a very nice thing to do to your drivetrain..

cross-chaining puts a lot of unnecessary tension on the chain and the gear teeth, making them easier to break.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    cool, good to know. thanks