mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Nomad- Shifting issues.

Hey all,

Posted this last week in the SC forum, but didn't have a whole lot of luck, but I beleive I found what the culprit is.

Set Up- Santa Cruz Nomad
    Truvativ Stylos
    E-13 SRS
    X.0 shifter
    X.9 rear derailleur.

Problem- No matter what I (and the other 3 mechanics at my shop) do, I can never hit all the gears. Either I get it so I can hit all of them fine, except the highest. Or I can hit the highest but not 2 and 3.

The Nomad has a 73mm BB shell, and w/ the Stylos, to run them on a 73, you run no spacers. So I'm thinking, since I'm running the E 13 adapter plate, is that throwing off my chainline, causing the miss shifts? What cranks would solve that problem? Any suggestions?

-Matt

No, that's not phonetic
    Have you tried putting a thin washer or two between the dropout and rear derailleur? Most rear derailleurs have very weak springs at the end of their travel (the spring is almost tototally relaxed), and so shifting suffers near the 11 and 12t cogs. Moving the der out a mm or two can be enough to solve this. Finding a suitable washer can be tough though. You will have to adjust the der stops, but this may be all you need.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    Have you tried putting a thin washer or two between the dropout and rear derailleur? Most rear derailleurs have very weak springs at the end of their travel (the spring is almost tototally relaxed), and so shifting suffers near the 11 and 12t cogs. Moving the der out a mm or two can be enough to solve this. Finding a suitable washer can be tough though. You will have to adjust the der stops, but this may be all you need.
    Never thought of that, I'll have to try it!

Thanks
    Matt

Propr
    Have you had any luck Matt?

I'm having the same problem with my Nomad and the DRS and Stylo combo. Shop said Truvativ Tech said not really compatable with the Stylo's 06/07's. Apparently they have some Stylo's in the works that will be out late this year/early next that work with the e.13 setup, but for now it's a no go with that crank

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    have you checked chainlines front and rear. it is a pain but may answer some questions. I was oblivious about rear chainline values until I went through the Park website and found out that there are recommend rear chainline values. it may not help, but who knows???
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

Members who have read this thread: 0