mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Noisy MRP chain tensioner

Is there any way to get rid of the noise from the chain tensioner pulley on the MRP Mini G2? This thing when I first was putting it on felt notchy when rolling the chain over it, and I new it was going to be noisey. It sound like a little motor when pedaling. I am running a 10 speed chain. Thanks for any input on this matter.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Noisy MRP chain tensioner-ibis-spiderless-gear.jpg  

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Most likely to me would be if it's not lined up right with the chainring. Either to far out or inboard, or maybe twisted a bit sideways.

If it is, then otherwise: bolt too tight, maybe loading the bearings too much? Or maybe you've got it rotated upwards too much, too close to the ring?

Maybe pull the pulley out, clean and lube the bearings, then re-install.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I'm noticing the same thing - first ride and the Mini G2 SL is a noisier and notchier than the LG1+ when pedaling. The alignment is spot on and there is nothing rubbing. Its noise from the chain rolling onto the pulley.

Does anyone know if this goes away over time as the pulley wears? Most people seem to like this guide.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Either its not lined up right or has too much tension. I have two and both are super quiet.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    That Homebrewed chainring is not offset, so it's not really designed to work with chainguides. It puts the chain further outboard than a ring located in the middle position of a traditional triple crank (where our guides are designed to work). Thus your chainring and cassette are out of ideal alignment - especially in your easier cogs.

You can try moving your upper and lower guides positioning a bit to try and help as well. Small changes to the position of the pulley seem to help. When the chain segmets and pulley teeth are out of sync it cause more noise. Also double check that the washer between the pulley and skid is facing the right way - there is a dull side and a sharp side, the dull side should be facing the pulley (bearing). The sharp side can inhibit the movement and cause drag.

Hope that helps. Cheers
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP
    TECH QUESTIONS HERE: INFO@MRPBIKE.COM