Thread: noisy BB

trail addict

noisy BB

so, earlier this year, my bb started making a clicking sound about once per rev when I was really hammering it. Now it clicks several times per rev and does it even when I am pedalling lightly. The sound is definitely coming from bb-I don't have derailers and my freewheel is ok. My bike is a 2004 Specialized P Street with (I'd estimate) less than 200 miles. I usually work on my bikes myself (adjust brakes, shifters, replace pads, patch tubes, etc), but never serviced bearings in a bb before. The cranks still spin freely, but I want to fix the noise before things get ugly. Am I looking at bad bearings?

What is a fair price on parts for this job? What is a fair price on labor? Is it something I could do myself? Thanks!

Most bb bearings aren't serviceable, but are you sure it's the bb? Check your pedals, too, they can make similar sounds, as can other parts of your bike. I always have the tools to work on any aspect of my bike, especially the bb/cranks. Sometimes all it takes is a little cleaning and grease (on the threads) and reinstallation to get rid of bb noises.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

...idios...
    Check your pedals are in good and tight (15mm spanner, non-drive side is opposite thread) but it sounds more like loose cranks, or crank, than a bearing issue or loose pedals. If you want to do it yourself, get a crank extractor, you local shop will tell you which type you need, pull your cranks, and thoroughly clean the axle ends and axle-holes in your cranks. Then apply a light coat of grease, even vaseline will do, to axle and crank axle-holes. Re-assemble with as much as you can manage on the crank bolts.
    Creaks, cracks and groans could be anything, and then some. If it's not your cranks, could be the BB shell is loose (body or left side cup). Then again, it might be your seatpost...
    It's basically a process of elimination. Be methodical and you'll figure it. If not, you'll go slowly insane and have dreams about creaks and clicks. Forever.
    Peace,
    Steve.

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

mtbr member
    May 2006
    grab crank arm and wiggly. If the crank arm and the bb axle moves your bb is gone.

This should be warranty work.

I doubt a bb on a 2004 bike would be considered under warranty...
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

banned
    You could have:

Shot BB, loose BB, loose cranks.

Usually, throwing some grease on the BB spindle works perfect. I probably need to remove my BB and regrease the threads but I need the tool...

CURB HUCK!!!!!!
    May 2006
    i sillicon sprayed down my bb and cranks and all noise went away
    works for all the pivots too, silence
    [SIZE="1"]Kona Coiler[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Yeah proably not under warrenty still can always try

mtbr member
    I had the clicks a few days ago as well ,I just tightened up my right crank arm and now all is well. They were pretty tight too, but I gave the allen wrench a tug anyhow and it worked.