mtbr member
    May 2008

Noise, noise, noise!!!

We all know how terribly unsuccessful these silly noise threads are, but I'm running out of options. There is no one I know I can get expert advice and it's summer which means my LBS is stacked up for a month. So... here we go...

I'm getting a grinding noise when the chain is under high tension (like hills and accelerating). It's not metal rubbing or any sort of interference (my front derailleur already does that). I'm pretty sure it's coming from the cassette.

I've fiddled and adjusted my set up to no avail. Any help would be great.

It's a Deore component group.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Lube everything.
    Tighten the cassete.
    If you recently changed your chain, your drivetrain is probably said because it was used to a worn chain.

Just a flesh wound
    It might be the BB. Grinding under pressure is probably a bearing failure.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Wear is improbable as the bike is only 2 months old. I don't have any good chain lube right now... I've been meaning to get some.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Clean the chain throughly and add some cooking oil. I experienced a sound that fits your description when pedalling up-hill a few days ago. Luckily, a friend had brought some Pedro's lube with him.

You can use almost any lubricant, you can surely find one in any large store.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    What lube will work? Perhaps I have some laying around, I just don't have any chain-specific lube.

Just google for bicycle chain lube you'll get lots of ideas...but two months without lube would make for a noisy drivetrain, and one that will wear faster.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Note that this is also being discussed in this thread All reports of grinding are of Shimano drive components