Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Noise from BB area - New BB!

891 views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  hatake 
#1 ·
I had a Firex crank with an FSA isis BB for past few years. It started creaking some months ago. I figured it was time to get a new cranks. I installed my new XT's last week and lo and behold, the creaking was still there. I'm pretty sure its not the crank or BB, as they are brand new.

Is my BB shell toast. Could there be a hairline crack thats causing the creak? I've inspected the BB shell area of the frame and it seems fine. What else could be the cause of this confunded noise.

#3 ·
Anything could cause it and it could be coming from almost anywhere.... except probably the new cranks and BB considering the creak is exactly the same as it was before they were installed.

Good luck. Headset? Seat? Seatpost? Bars? Stem? Fork? Bushing? Bearings? Pivots?

#4 ·
Will check the BB threads. They havent been refaced. But they were ok before.

Not the seat post, creaks when standing too . Not stem or hbar, it creaks when I try to turn the cranks by hand with resistance.

Hmm, could it be the cassette?

#6 ·
I greased the parts when I installed the new cranks, but, Oh well, will do a crank/bb strip down and rebuild again. Will see what happens then.

#10 ·
presslab said:
Try a little grease on the rear axle flange where it meets the dropouts. I have had creaks from here on numerous bikes.
I had a similar creak lately, it sounded like the BB. Turns out it was the axle flexing in the drop outs. A little grease on the axle/dropouts cured it. Also try some grease between the derailleur hanger and frame.

#12 ·
If the bike is a few years old and the BB is brand new, then I'd check the suspension linkages AND the headset. I too thought my BB was creaking badly (because it only made noise when I pedaled), but it turned out my FSA angular headset bearing sleeve was coming loose (disintegrating internally) and it was making a very annoying noise. Replaced with a new headset bearings (from Enduroforkseals.com) and all the noise is gone!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.