Crunchatize me Capn'

newer (06 or 07 and up) X.9 vs an 03 X.0 rear derailleur

Yesterday on my ride my der hanger snapped and my '03 X.0 rear der. dropped and got caught between my fender support bars and my spokes. The only thing damaged was the cage which I believe I can bend back, enough to work anyway, however a couple of the lower pulley wheel teeth are broken off.

I can get new, exact match, pulley wheels for the X.0 but they're $30. I'm hoping I can find a similar, cheaper, ll tooth wheel to replace it. However, even $20 would be to high as I figure I might as well as just spend another $40 for a new X.9 derailleur. Maybe if I could find something for $10ish I'd consider it but I digress. Anyway, I absolutely, ABSOLUTELY LOVE, that X.0 r. der. Up until the der hanger snapped the only adjustment I've ever made to that der is during my yearly cable change. The shifts were crisp, instant (as in - as I got done moving the shifter I had shifted, no delay), and maintenance virtually nil. I've read the reviews. I've done a search through and read many of the threads here. What I'm looking for is anyone who used the OLDER X.0 ders and a newer X.9 der. How do they compare? Is there really any difference between older vs. newer, is it better than the older.

I personally like the fact that SRAM r. ders feel like they shift harder/crisper than Shimano's (although the newer Shadow stuff the difference is less) and my older XT was never even close to zero maintenance. I don't mind paying the big bucks for X.0 as I was that happy with it (although for this I would probably just replace the lower pulley wheel for sure and bend the cage back into position as best as possible and continue using it) but if the X.9 feels virtually identical I don't see the reason to pay more than the $60 ish you can get an X.9 for. I fully realize how much the shifters themselves play in this process. I trying to get every bit of info and feedback I can before I decide what to do.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Basically....

this years (07) X9 was last years (06) X0. There are very few differences between the two both in function and performance. Having used both it's very hard to tell the difference. And they both perform as well, if not better, than the older models. If you don't need the bling but still want the performance the 07 X9 will deliver.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

Freshly Fujified

Good job! Squash nailed it

As always, some sage advice from Squash. Cop an '07 X.9 (circa $65-$70 if you search hard) and you're good to go. Otherwise, keep a search going on ebay and see if you can't find a deal on an older (pre-'07) X.0.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

Crunchatize me Capn'
    Thanks. Exactly what I wanted to know. Having absolutely loved my X.0 I find it hard to believe SRAM could be even better. Awesome. I think I'll just get the X.9 now just because I want to see for myself just how much better SRAM's derailleurs may have gotten.