mtbr member
    Jan 2006

newbie rear derailleur replacement

My girlfriends bike recently self destructed it's rear derailleur and I need to replace it. It's a trek low level leisure type bike and it was an alivo or acera derailleur. I have the mechanical skills to replace it, however, I've never purchased a derailleur before. So My question is, can i just get on ebay and score a shimano LX or something similar and be sure it will work? I can tune it all up and set the limits but do i need to look for something special in the type of derailleur I get? It doesn't have to be super high performance or anything, mostly just cheap and functional it won't be receiving any hard wear. Thanks in advance.. charis kai eirene.

Formerly DMR For Life
    sounds like your on the right track there...head over to parktools.com and look in their reference section there should be a section on der. replacement
    DMR

Pretty much any Shimano derailleur will do to keep it simple. LX is a couple levels above the one you're replacing, Deore would be closer. Maybe your bike shop might have an older lower level derailleur around they'd like to get rid of at a good price...or a friend with lots of old parts in the garage.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

MTB B'dos
    Quote Originally Posted by ooklah007
    So My question is, can i just get on ebay and score a shimano LX or something similar and be sure it will work? I can tune it all up and set the limits but do i need to look for something special in the type of derailleur I get? It doesn't have to be super high performance or anything, mostly just cheap and functional it won't be receiving any hard wear. Thanks in advance.. charis kai eirene.
    You can basically use any derailer that's the same as the one she had on let me explain....... There are several different brands of derailers made by SRAM and Shimano, matching SRAM derailers to Shimano shifters gets a bit tricky so stay away from them (1:1 ratio, 1:2 ratio etc) Something you need to know/figure out is what type of derailer was on the GFs bike, was it Rapid Riase or Low Normal?

You ask what are these well here goes...... Shimano originally madw what's being called these days "Low Normal" derailers, which basically meant you had to put tension on the derailer cable to get it to shift to an easier gear/bigger cog - using trigger shifters you would use your thumb to change to the easier gear/bigger cog. Then Shimano decided that they would introduce what is now called "Rapid Rise" and these you had to apply tension on the Derailer cable to change to a harder gear/smaller cog - using trigger shifters you would use your thumb to shift to a harder gear/smaller cog.

Hope this helps in your search and basically remember that if it's a 7/8 speed bike that it more than likely uses the older NON Rapis Rise/Low Normal derailer.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Rapidrise was Shimano's previous name for what is now known as Low Normal. Shifting to a higher (harder) gear requires the thumb push. Up the cassette to an easier gear uses the index finger.
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    You can basically use any derailer that's the same as the one she had on let me explain....... There are several different brands of derailers made by SRAM and Shimano, matching SRAM derailers to Shimano shifters gets a bit tricky so stay away from them (1:1 ratio, 1:2 ratio etc) Something you need to know/figure out is what type of derailer was on the GFs bike, was it Rapid Riase or Low Normal?

You ask what are these well here goes...... Shimano originally madw what's being called these days "Low Normal" derailers, which basically meant you had to put tension on the derailer cable to get it to shift to an easier gear/bigger cog - using trigger shifters you would use your thumb to change to the easier gear/bigger cog. Then Shimano decided that they would introduce what is now called "Rapid Rise" and these you had to apply tension on the Derailer cable to change to a harder gear/smaller cog - using trigger shifters you would use your thumb to shift to a harder gear/smaller cog.

Hope this helps in your search and basically remember that if it's a 7/8 speed bike that it more than likely uses the older NON Rapis Rise/Low Normal derailer.

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by ooklah007
    can i just get on ebay and score a shimano LX or something similar and be sure it will work?Thanks in advance.. charis kai eirene.
    Go to your LBS & buy a derailleur, you can get one for about 20.00-30.00 replace it today & ride. Dont waste your time with eBay for something as cheap as this. Support your LBS or 1 day you'll need them & their gone because you wouldnt spend 20.00 to support them, they are people too

MTB B'dos
    Quote Originally Posted by lebikerboy
    Rapidrise was Shimano's previous name for what is now known as Low Normal. Shifting to a higher (harder) gear requires the thumb push. Up the cassette to an easier gear uses the index finger.
    WTF r u on about I take it you're describing the NEW Rapid Rise (as that is how it works).
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics