mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Newbie question: Chain removal/re-install

Regarding chain removal: I used a chain tool to disconnect my chain at a random link. Later, I noticed that I had one link that looked different from the others (different in color and design). Is this the link that was designed for removal and thus am I an idiot for doing what I did?

Regarding chain reinstallation: Putting the chain back together was time-consuming and frustrating. I think I spent 45 minutes trying to align that pin correctly. When I did get the pin back in, the section of chain that pivots around that pin is now very stiff, even after oiling. When it goes through the deraileur and other gears, it is a little noticable since it won't bend. Have I permanently screwed up my chain?

Thanks!

...idios...
    Which make and model chain do you have?

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

mtbr member
    Sounds like you were using a probably Shimano chain. You should have broke it at that special pin. Also you should use a brand new pin to put it back together.

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...+Set+Of+5.aspx

Now regarding what you already did, you can flex the chain hard side to side at that link and that should loosen it up some. Just keep in mind that the chain is now weaker at that point and could break. You could also break it again at that point and use the Shimano replacement pin.

You may want to consider getting a SRAM chain which as a special "power link" which makes installation and removal a snap.

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...9Sp+Chain.aspx

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolbiker
    You may want to consider getting a SRAM chain which as a special "power link" which makes installation and removal a snap.
    Or you could just get the SRAM PowerLink by itself and use it on the Shimano chain. Lots of people (like myself) do this.

Larry

mtbr member
    I would try pushing the pin either back a little further or foward it bit to see if that loosens it up. If it still has a kink then I would replace the chain. Get one with a power link and a Park tool to help loosen the power link. Keep the old chain and use it for a backup or use it for spare links. They are handy to have.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by User2502
    Regarding chain removal: I used a chain tool to disconnect my chain at a random link. Later, I noticed that I had one link that looked different from the others (different in color and design). Is this the link that was designed for removal and thus am I an idiot for doing what I did?

Regarding chain reinstallation: Putting the chain back together was time-consuming and frustrating. I think I spent 45 minutes trying to align that pin correctly. When I did get the pin back in, the section of chain that pivots around that pin is now very stiff, even after oiling. When it goes through the deraileur and other gears, it is a little noticable since it won't bend. Have I permanently screwed up my chain?

Thanks!
    the other link brass?
    if so , Its a sram quick link. and yes thats where you should take the chain apart. now that youve popped a pin and replaced it, you have a tight link. I would get another quic link and re pop that tight pin and replace it with the quick link

PM Me for Wood Fenders
    Another tip
    If you ever need to pop a pin, don't push it out all the way. Leave the tip of it in the back side of the link. There should just be enough to remove the inner link. That way when you re-install the pin you don't have to spend 40 minutes getting it to seat, then another five pressing the whole thing.

As mentioned above, if the unique link you mentioned is brass with a funky look to it, that's your power link. Another no brainer is if it says sram on it
    The wood is being bent! Let me know what you need!