Gator Wrangler
    Jun 2013

Newbie and needing some help.

New to mtb, I've been a snow skier for my whole life. So with that being said I know nothing about bikes for the most part. I have a Jamis Komodo II that the guy before me set up as a SS. I am wanting to use it as a trail rider, so I want to put gears back on it due to the amount of climbing I would be doing at my local rides. The bike is also set up with WTB Graffiti SF 2.2 tires. I like the tires for riding back and forth to college and home right now. I would like to add a set of trail tires on another set of rims if possible. Budget is an issue but I am mainly just wondering where I should start with my conversion? Please help. Thank you.

Newbie and needing some help.-bike.jpg

Gator Wrangler
    Jun 2013
    Can anyone help?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Nice looking bike. Ride it and see what you need afterwards. Judging by the tires I would say that would be you first priority if you plan to take it off-road. Gearing shouldn't be an issue till you get to more technical rides.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    It is difficult to give any advice because your question is not specific and we don't know many details about your bike. You may need to take your bike to a bike shop to have someone look at the bike and give you advice.

I would recommend looking for used parts. If you buy a new drivetrain and wheels, you may as well just buy a complete new bike. I think you could find some used 9-speed parts fairly cheap. Is your rear wheel single-speed only? If not, you don't need new wheels.

Don't put a lot of money into the bike. Once you ride it enough and learn about mtb, you may decide the bike isn't right for you (been there, done that). Also, you may be able to ride single speed on trails if you install a larger cog for easier climbing. That would save you a lot of money. Also, no shame in pushing a single speed up the steep hills. Ride more, and you'll get stronger.

Gator Wrangler
    Jun 2013
    I appreciate it. I think that's what I'm gonna have to do is go to local bike shop.