Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Newbie Here - Crankset/Chain Ring Questions

655 views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  McCleary11 
#1 ·
I just bought a very lightly used 2005 Trek 4300 http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/BikeSpecs.aspx?Year=2005&Brand=Trek&Model=4300&Type=bike

I completed my first ride today and had some troubles with my outer chain ring hitting a few logs while passing over. I looked online to see how to remove it and replace it with a bash ring, but when inspecting the bike found that the rings are actually riveted together. I would like to switch to a single ring for simplicity and ground clearance. I realize that Suntour is the bottom of the barrel, but I am willing to upgrade if need be.

What are my options here? Do I need a whole new crank setup?

Thanks!

#3 ·
McCleary11 said:
I just bought a very lightly used 2005 Trek 4300 http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/BikeSpecs.aspx?Year=2005&Brand=Trek&Model=4300&Type=bike

I completed my first ride today and had some troubles with my outer chain ring hitting a few logs while passing over. I looked online to see how to remove it and replace it with a bash ring, but when inspecting the bike found that the rings are actually riveted together. I would like to switch to a single ring for simplicity and ground clearance. I realize that Suntour is the bottom of the barrel, but I am willing to upgrade if need be.

What are my options here? Do I need a whole new crank setup?

Thanks!
Cheapest solution......file down the teeth on the big ring and voila...instant bashguard.....more expensive solution, go out and buy a new crankset, bottom bracket, and bashguard......

#5 ·
Your bike has either a 68 or 73 mm bracket that crankset will fit both using the included spacers.......

If you are gonna do it yourself you might need a BB removal tool (not sure which one)......or else take it to a bike shop.....

Either way add up $154 plus shipping plus the cost of the bike plus the cost of tools/installation.....you probably could have spent a little bit more for a bike that already had a 4-bolt crankset saving you the trouble.....

#6 ·
After thinking it over, I will just ride the crap out of this for the rest of the year stock and upgrade to a new bike next season. You are right, upgrading this will just turn into a money pit. Thanks for the replies. I should really focus on getting better for now.

#7 ·
Ghetto bashring

+1 on the DIY bashring idea, suggested above.
  • It's not difficult, and costs nothing but a bit of your spare time
  • Sounds like you probably never use the 44T big-ring anyway
  • So just get out and ride the ring(s) off your bike
  • Then after trying 2x9 for a while, you can always splurge on blingy cranks later :)

Here's a ghetto 'bashie' that I cobbled-up from a trashed chainring on the weekend...

[Edit] I just took a closer look at the OP's crankset. OMG! That thing really is a POS (no offence intended)!
Anyway, that's more justification for riding it like you stole it :).

#8 ·
I just took a closer look at the OP's crankset. OMG! That thing really is a POS (no offence intended)!
Anyway, that's more justification for riding it like you stole it :)
No offense at all. I'm just trying to learn the sport and that was one thing that caught me up while riding. Yes, I will be riding it like I stole it! :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.