mtbr member
    Jan 2005

newbie to gear changing

i've caught onto the uselessness of the the large chainring (44T) on my ride...i've got a standard 3X9 (44,32,22 and 11X34)...it's cheaper and quicker for me to deal just with the front rings and keep the 9 in back...so when folks talk about running 2 chainrings up front...the usually discard the outer ring on the standard 3 ring crank and just keep the 22 and 32 rings in thier original positions (inner and middle)...but some may use 2 rings that are different from 22 and 32 and run them in the same positions that the 22 and 32 were in?...some guys run a single ring up front, they put this ring in the middle position on the crank?...the middle ring generally gives the straightest chainline?...

if one runs a single ring up front...then they prolly need a chainguide to make sure the chain doesn't come off...could keeping the front derrailler, although superfluos, serve as a chainguide?

i often just stay in the middle ring for much of my XC work...maybe running a single up front, one can dial in thier shifting precisely and have almost flawless shifting but only 9 gears...i would take that in a heartbeat...if the front chainring isn't working...finding a different size is no problem

what don't i have right? thanks
    "He can make even a global summit meeting seem like a kegger." M. Dowd, NY Times, 19 July 2006

You seem to have done your homework and understand your options. On a 3 ring setup the middle ring position is ideal for chainline (it is the chainline measuring point). Most guys I know who've dropped the big ring have kept the granny and middle as is and put a bash guard in place of the big ring, but depends on what you need in the way of gearing.

A derailleur will not work satisfactorily as a chain guide. You might not need one, either. If you do, there's plenty of options especially for a single ring (or two, if you're having problems with keeping the chain on already).
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

..probably out riding..
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by adamantane
    i often just stay in the middle ring for much of my XC work...maybe running a single up front, one can dial in thier shifting precisely and have almost flawless shifting but only 9 gears...i would take that in a heartbeat...if the front chainring isn't working...finding a different size is no problem

what don't i have right? thanks

That will wear out your middle ring quick, use your big ring some to make your parts last longer. If I was only to have 2 rings, I'd get a bb that I could adjust the chainline with and run the two big rings, probably a 30-44, then you'd have 18 good gears.

You can get a single speed crankset.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by HillbillyBiker
    That will wear out your middle ring quick, use your big ring some to make your parts last longer. If I was only to have 2 rings, I'd get a bb that I could adjust the chainline with and run the two big rings, probably a 30-44, then you'd have 18 good gears.

You can get a single speed crankset.
    billy..not a bad idea...do you think i could take off my granny chainring and then put my middle 32t ring where the granny was and then change the 44t bigring where the middle ring was? then i could run a bashguard on the outside of the crank cleanly....

if this would work, climbing would be a bit more work...but who goes fast climgin...just get there...two big rings with give me better speed on declines...once you reach 30 mph, the 44t isn't big enough
    "He can make even a global summit meeting seem like a kegger." M. Dowd, NY Times, 19 July 2006