mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Newbe wants new cranks......

Hello all,

I purchased a Specilaized FSR XC Comp back in August and was wondering if its worth changing out the crankset on this bike. Iím looking to save a bit of weight. Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Don't know how much....

weight you'd save. The crank is not usually the best place to save weight. It's the primary interface between you and the bike and needs to be stiff, and stiff isn't usually all that light unless you go insanely expensive. But in considering the original spec with the ES 25 boat anchor bottom bracket that your bike came stock with, I'd say you'd save a few grams going with a Shimano LX external bearing crank/bottom bracket set up. You'd also notice a increase is the stiffness of the cranks. Plus 07 LX crank sets can be had for a pretty reasonalble price right now as well.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Thanks for the reply Squash. One more question, what part of the whole crankset is the "Bottom Bracket"??

mtbr member
    The bottom bracket is the section between the two crank arms.

local trails rider
    Light tyres is the most cost-efficient way to save weight.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

As demonx said....

the bottom bracket is the piece that threads into the bottom bracket housing of the frame. It contains a spindle of a specific length that the crank arms bolt to. The spindle is supported by sealed cartridge bearings that are pressed into the outer shell. The bb pictured below is a cartridge bottom bracket and is completely self conatain and non-serviceable. When it wears out you replace it and toss the old one. As a matter of fact the one pictured below is the exact model that your bike came with stock.

Good Dirt
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Squash
    the bottom bracket is the piece that threads into the bottom bracket housing of the frame. It contains a spindle of a specific length that the crank arms bolt to.
    And then there's systems like Shimano's Hollowtech 2 where the spindle is integral with the driveside crank arm. I have Saint and LX versions of that and both have been troublefree.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by perttime
    Light tyres is the most cost-efficient way to save weight.
    I agree. Tires are the best place to start. They are the cheapest and easiest to save weight.

I would then move to the XT Hollowtech II on the crank set. They are resonable and will save you weight. You'll get a jump in stiffness too as a bonus.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    You guys are a bunch of help.

Thanks again.