mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Newb here, shifting question

I just bought a 2005 Specialized Hardrock sport over the weekend. I love the bike and plan on having alot of fun with it. I'm experiencing an issue that I'm not sure is from my wrong doing, or if something is not calibrated properly.

When riding the bike around my neighborhood, I have mostly used the rear gears (1-7) and kept the front gear in high (1). However when I attempt to switch to a lower gear (2 or 3) on the front set of gears, it feels as if it's not switching into gear. Is this a chain slipping or am I simply using the wrong combination of gears? It makes the same sound that the bike normally makes when switching into gear, except it constantly does makes the sound and won't go in.

I apologize if I'm not using proper terminology. When I talk about using the rear gears I'm referring to the right hand side of gears on the handlebars, and the left side for the front gears.

Freshly Fujified

Bring it back to the bike store

First off, you shouldn't be running gears 1-7 on the first front chain ring. Think of your shifting in terms of "thirds", or approximately thirds. Gears 1,2, 3 (and possibly 4) should be used in granny gear up front. Gears 4,5,6 (and possibly 7) should be on the middle chain ring up front. Gears 7,8,9 should be on the large ring up front. This is the most efficient way to use the gears.

As for your problem, the front derailleur apparently isn't moving the chain to the next chain ring on your crankset. Bring the bike back to the shop where you purchased it and they should make the correct adjustments for you, free of charge.

I hope this helps.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    When you say "kept the front gear in high (1)", do you mean the big ring on the outside, or the small inner ring?
    If you're riding around in the small ring, and have trouble shifting up to the middle ring, try adjusting the cable at the shifter. Turn the barrel counterclockwise to take out any slack.
    Try a couple turns, test it out by riding and shifting, repeat if necessary.
    If your problem is the other way around, you don't have enough slack in the cable. In which case, turn the barrel adjuster clockwise to adjust, ride, shift, repeat if necessary.
    Good luck.
    Lenny

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenny
    When you say "kept the front gear in high (1)", do you mean the big ring on the outside, or the small inner ring?
    If you're riding around in the small ring, and have trouble shifting up to the middle ring, try adjusting the cable at the shifter. Turn the barrel counterclockwise to take out any slack.
    If your problem is the other way around, you don't have enough slack in the cable. In which case, turn the barrel adjuster clockwise to adjust, ride, shift, repeat if necessary.
    Good luck.
    Lenny
    From your description, I may have too much slack. Where can I make this adjustment to try this out?

Thanks for helping me out, I appreciate it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Call_me_Clyde
    First off, you shouldn't be running gears 1-7 on the first front chain ring. Think of your shifting in terms of "thirds", or approximately thirds. Gears 1,2, 3 (and possibly 4) should be used in granny gear up front. Gears 4,5,6 (and possibly 7) should be on the middle chain ring up front. Gears 7,8,9 should be on the large ring up front. This is the most efficient way to use the gears.

As for your problem, the front derailleur apparently isn't moving the chain to the next chain ring on your crankset. Bring the bike back to the shop where you purchased it and they should make the correct adjustments for you, free of charge.

I hope this helps.

Bob
    What you said makes alot of sense about properly using the gears. I'll use this way from now on when riding. Thanks for clearing that up for me!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenny
    Good luck.
    Lenny
    I just tried this now and it has worked perfectly. Thanks for the help again! It rides and shifts great!