Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

New XTR hub engagement?

4K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  si,s 
#1 ·
Anyone know what the engagement, in degrees, is for the new XTR (975 series) hubs happens to be? I can't seem to find this information anywhere.

#2 ·
WHO CARES--is it going to make you a better rider???? NO. Hub engagement is one of those statistics like "50% of doctors graduated in the bottom half of their class" a useless statistic.

Answer this why does it really matter??? As long as they engage right??

#3 ·
harshcore said:
Anyone know what the engagement, in degrees, is for the new XTR (975 series) hubs happens to be? I can't seem to find this information anywhere.
36 point, 10° engagement. Don't mind the ass clown.

23mjm said:
Answer this why does it really matter???
mjm, you, my friend, are a fuggin tard.

(a) it matters enough that he's asking.

(b) if anything, mtbr is a forum to share information.

(c) I don't think you really give a ****, but too few engagement points can make ratcheting up a technical climb trickier than it need be if you're trying to keep your crank arms clear of rocks and the sides of ruts.

#4 ·
Hub engagement makes a huge difference in slow technical sections. Its one of the very few pieces of equipment that will make you a better rider in the right conditions.

I love my kings and don't think I could go back now to my old mavic hubs.

#5 ·
WOW Slowdub.Nate I guess I hit a nerve, hub clicks must be near and dear to your heart. You pulled out all the stops ass clown and fuggin tard way to go. Let me know how you really feel.

Now about the real issue having ridden bikes for over 18 years I have never had an issue with making or not making a technical section because I couldn't ratchet my crank in little small steps. Hell my XTR crank swings about 2 inches until it engages again and my DT 240s seams alittle less (the 24 clicker) (1 240s hub had 24 clicks/rev and the other had 40 go figure that out). Thats not much movement. I think it is a perceived issue not a real one. In my youth I rode Mod Trials some for fun and we used BMX freewheels--use to blow quite a few up and who knows the engagement degrees on those.

I DON'T THINK IT IS A BIG DEAL THATS MY OPINION---so to harshcore don't worry about it if you want a new set of XTR hubs get a set they are a quality hub.

#9 ·
Gregg,

Sure, I went overboard, but only to make a point. It's attitudes like this that scare people away from posting questions and comments on your forums.

"harshcore" is an infrequent user with a totally legit question, and doesn't deserve to be belittled like he was. I doubt you would have received this same response if you posted the question.

Nevertheless, I'll drop it. Thanks for your response.

- Nate

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.