mtbr member
    Apr 2006

New X9 Rear Derailleur Cage Not Parallel with Cassette

My rear derailleur and derailleur hanger were snapped off by a root on a trail I frequent and I just recently installed a new 10 speed Sram X9 rear derailleur and a new derailleur hanger (the bike is a Pivot Mach 429). Everything has been torqued to spec and I noticed that the derailleur cage is tweaked to the right or away from the wheel slightly (bottom pulley is not completely dead straight in line with the rear cassette). You can notice it most when the derailleur is completely relaxed (small ring up front and small ring in back). Is this normal? When I had my bike on the stand adjusting the rear derailleur I did accidentally adjust the low limit screw to much and the chain jumped off and wedged itself between the rear cassette and the spokes. Not sure if I just messed up my new rear derailleur installing it. I don't have any other bikes to compare it too so I thought I would post here. I plan on taking it in and having a shop put a DAG on it when I get time, but this wont tell me if the derailleur itself is bent. Shifting seems to be ok.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    My guess is that the new hanger isn't straight (none are, the stamping process for construction is none too precise).

Get the hanger looked at first obviously.
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"

Rub it............
    New hangers are, more often then not, out of alignment. So every time a hanger is replaced, it should be checked for straightness.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    My 2 year old X9 is the same way as is my Force on my new road bike. Both shift great. I suspect that they might be designed this way.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    my x9 RD is the same. i dont think anyone's RD pulleys are dead straight aligned. i think RD's are designed this way to reduce stress.