Riding free's the mind
    Jan 2004

New SRAM XO Shifter/derailleur

Have any of you seen the ad for the new SRAM XO trigger shifter and XO Blackbox technology rear derailleur? Is this available now?
    [SIZE=2]Question to a custom frame builder..."So what makes your bikes climb better?"....his answer, "Uh, your legs?"[/SIZE]

Chrome Toaster
    Its already showing on Srams site. Its not available yet though. My guess would be that it will be released at some point late this year most likely around Interbike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by HTail
    Have any of you seen the ad for the new SRAM XO trigger shifter and XO Blackbox technology rear derailleur? Is this available now?
    ETA June 1st!

http://www.mtbr.com/spotlight/srammediacamp/

Riding free's the mind
    Jan 2004

Competition

Those of you with SRAM experience.....

Do you have to run a SRAM cassette to use their derailleurs?
    Do you have to use a SRAM chain?

This is the first time I'm actually considering changing from Shimano XTR.
    [SIZE=2]Question to a custom frame builder..."So what makes your bikes climb better?"....his answer, "Uh, your legs?"[/SIZE]

mtbr member

SRAM Drivetrain

You can mix and match componets to some extent. Obviously you can use a XT/XTR rear with SRAM 1:1 shifters, you can use a shimano cassette and/or chain. I run an X.9 drivetrain with X-Gen front, but I use an XT cassette. Everything works great and the shifting is far superior to the old XT/XTR setup I had before.

NoTubes.com
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Angel Crusher
    You can mix and match componets to some extent. Obviously you can use a XT/XTR rear with SRAM 1:1 shifters, you can use a shimano cassette and/or chain. I run an X.9 drivetrain with X-Gen front, but I use an XT cassette. Everything works great and the shifting is far superior to the old XT/XTR setup I had before.
    A slight correction to Angel Crusher's post - with a Shimano rear you need to run the SRAM 2:1 shifters. The easy way to tell is the 1:1 shifters are numbered, X.0, X.9, X.7, etc and the 2:1 (Shimano compatible) shifters are named, Rocket, Attack, etc. You can mix up the drivetrain beyond that to your hearts content.
    Please do not use the forum PM or e-mail function for business related questions. I can be contacted through our website. Thanks!

NoTubes.com

Riding free's the mind
    Jan 2004

Actually how about this situation...

So what if I have the following setup:

- Shimano XTR 9 speed cassette
    - SRAM XO rear derailleur
    - SRAM XO trigger shifters
    - Shimano XTR front derailleur

Will these work together?

The Riddler
    yep.
    my setup is
    XO rd, and shifters
    XT casette, much cheaper, more durable, and not that much heavier than xtr
    xt front der.
    sram pc99 chain

Meh.
    It'll work fine. Sram front derailleurs are still 2:1 actuation ratio. Rear derailleurs are 1:1. I'm using a SRAM cassette and PC 69 chain with Shimano Deore/XT derailleurs and Truvativ cranks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    It'll work fine. Sram front derailleurs are still 2:1 actuation ratio. Rear derailleurs are 1:1. I'm using a SRAM cassette and PC 69 chain with Shimano Deore/XT derailleurs and Truvativ cranks.
    Forgive me for being confused, I was under the impression that all front derailleurs were 1:1... I had a mechanic tell me this too but I wouldn't be suprised if this was wrong.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Seems to me that SRAM is actively getting into the thing you hated most about Shimano....planned obsolecence. :-)

Meh.
    Nope, all front derailleurs, and Shimano derailleurs are 2:1. Only the SRAM X-Gen Rear derailleurs are 1:1.

willtsmith_nwi

That is ...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike B.
    A slight correction to Angel Crusher's post - with a Shimano rear you need to run the SRAM 2:1 shifters. The easy way to tell is the 1:1 shifters are numbered, X.0, X.9, X.7, etc and the 2:1 (Shimano compatible) shifters are named, Rocket, Attack, etc. You can mix up the drivetrain beyond that to your hearts content.
    That is unless it's Rapid Rise. Than Attack and Rocket shifters will work backwards. You'll only be able to downshift one cog at a time, just like XTR ;-)

willtsmith_nwi

Actuation Ratio ...

Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    Nope, all front derailleurs, and Shimano derailleurs are 2:1. Only the SRAM X-Gen Rear derailleurs are 1:1.
    Prefer putting the horse before the cart. The cable controls the derailleur, not the other way around. It's 1:2 actuation (though, I've seen it used both ways).

For example:

1 mm cable pull : 2 mm derailleur movement

.5 mm cable slop : 1 mm derailleur slop