mtbr member
    Sep 2005

New SRAM X.0 Drivetrain, Suggestions?

I'm putting together the components for my new 06 Giant XTC composite bike, and I need some suggestions as to what parts to run. This past year I had the X.0 drivetrain w/ Race Face Deus cranks, an XTR m952 Front Derailleur, XTR 11-32 cassette, and SRAM Pc-990 chain.

This year I'm swapping to a 2x9 setup, running 32-44 chainrings. I will run a 12-34 XTR cassette, with the new 06 SRAM Med cage carbon rear deraillieur and gripshifts. My main question are the cranks......what to choose?

1) FSA Megaexo K-Force -- Mucho dinero, not very light, but look SWEET
    2) Truvativ GXP Stylo Carbon -- Good price, 850g, carbon looks, shift good w/ SRAM
    3) Race Face Deus -- Cheap, stiff, but I don't like the look or the mounting system.
    4) XTR -- Chainrings seem super expensive, but looks great and shifts great too

So what to choose? I'm leaning toward either the Truvativ GXP carbon or the XTR due to the price, durability, and shift quality with a SRAM chain....

I will only go with integrated cranks. I've had too many problems with ISIS.

I race semi-technical to smooth XC courses in the midwest USA, weigh 165 lbs and need 175 mm crank arms. What's the best setup? I will post pics as soon as everything is built up!

1x9'er
    Jul 2005
    Personally, I would choose the Race Face Duess XC's, but I'm sure the other cranks are just as good. I have the Evolve XC's and am very happy with them. In the end, I don't think you will go wrong with any of the choices you listed.

Trail rider and racer
    Throw on an X.O rear mech and whatever shifters you want with it and then pop on a FSA carbon pro crankset together with either a SRAM or Shiman0 front mech and cassette and a SRAM chain and your set...

Don't bother with XTR.

I use the above mentioned combo and it kicks ass! I love it.
    Trev!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

So how about this setup...

1) Truvativ Stylo GXP Carbon Crankset, 32-44
    2) SRAM PC990 11-34 cassette
    3) SRAM X.0 Med cage Rear Derailleur
    4) SRAM X.0 Gripshift
    5) Shimano XTR Down Swing Front Derailleur
    6) SRAM PC-991 Powerchain II (for Truvativ rings)

How's that setup sound? It is resaonable in price (considering the parts I already have, and in comparison to the other Crank offerings), and should be pretty lightweight too. I figure shifting with the SRAM and Truvativ should be on par with XTR rings and chain. I still think that the X-Gen front derailleur is porky and has questionalb eperformance, so its a no go for now.

Now what about the cockpit? I'm definatly doing carbon post/handlebars, and want to try the Maxm Mx-5 bars and post, and mate them to a ritchey WCS stem and Extralite seatclamp. Where can I buy them? Maxm seems hard to find at reatil stores...

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by EpicriderGMAC
    1) Truvativ Stylo GXP Carbon Crankset, 32-44
    2) SRAM PC990 11-34 cassette
    3) SRAM X.0 Med cage Rear Derailleur
    4) SRAM X.0 Gripshift
    5) Shimano XTR Down Swing Front Derailleur
    6) SRAM PC-991 Powerchain II (for Truvativ rings)

How's that setup sound? It is resaonable in price (considering the parts I already have, and in comparison to the other Crank offerings), and should be pretty lightweight too. I figure shifting with the SRAM and Truvativ should be on par with XTR rings and chain. I still think that the X-Gen front derailleur is porky and has questionalb eperformance, so its a no go for now.

Now what about the cockpit? I'm definatly doing carbon post/handlebars, and want to try the Maxm Mx-5 bars and post, and mate them to a ritchey WCS stem and Extralite seatclamp. Where can I buy them? Maxm seems hard to find at reatil stores...
    sounds sweet to me!

I run X0 shifters and love em and will never change.

as far as the crankset, you sound like me.....the looks of the FSA got the best of me and I went with them. i have now 1 ride with them and LOVE them. The bearings are incredible but most importantly, the ergonomics of the set is awesome. not sure if it has anything to do with the tight chainline either but the arms are excellent in that neither my heel or front of the foot come any where near hitting the arms which is a first. I have messed up feet and clip in odd perhaps and these cranks rock.

1x9'er
    Jul 2005
    You might have a heart attack when you see the price on the '06 X-O rear derailuer. They're listing for about $250 !! Ouch! I wanted a short cage derailuer for my 1x9 setup and already had an X-O gripshifter and X-9 long cage derailuer that was working fine. I was intending to get the new X-O short cage, untill I saw the price! I ended up getting an XT short cage rear derailuer for about $80 and a SRAM Rocket grip shifter to shift the Shimano derailuer with, which cost about $40. So I got a new shifter and a new derailuer for about half what the X-O derailuer by itself cost . I am going to put the X-O shifter and X-9 derailuer on my other bike to replace the Deore shifter and LX derailuer that are on there now, since that bike still has 3x9 gearing.

I agree on the fatness of the X-Gen front derailuer. I had one on my bike when it was 3x9 and although it worked fine, it is a heavy hunk of metal. The Deore front derailuer on my other bike works just as good and weighs about half as much and probably cost a few dollars less too (it was on the bike when I got it).

Good call on the XT cassette, those are a good balance between price and weight. The SRAM chains work good too .

Jan 2004
    yeah....the X0 rear der are ridiculous in price, as are the new X0 trigger shifters. however, you can find last years X0 rear for about $120 and the X9 rear der works awesome.

Bodhisattva
    The sensible choice is to get Deus. It's the cheapest option, slightly heavier than XTR and no heavier than the carbons.

Both the Truvativ & FSA K-Force carbons weigh 850gm including BB. I think they're the same product with different graphics.

XTR...stiff & shifts great. overpriced and replacement rings are a fortune.

X.0 triggers & X.0 medium cage RD: shifts like a dream. If cost prohibitive, spend the cash on the X.0 tiggers and get the X.9 RD.

FD: XTR is still the way to go.The SRAM FD is clunky, relatively heavy and doesn't shift as well.
    Last edited by The Squeaky Wheel; 10-16-2005 at 10:44 AM.
    Life....the original terminal illness

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

The order went out...

I placed the order for the components and frame on Friday....here's what went down:

06 Giant XTC composite, 21'' frame, w/ NEW C800 carbon (lighter and stiffer!)
    06 Fox F80 RLT fork (I'm going to shave off the brake bosses)
    05 Sram X.0 gripshifters + rear deailleur (cheaper!)
    06 FSA K-force Megaexo carbon crankset (I'll run this as a 2x9)
    06 SRAM PG990 11-34 cassette (I still may use an XT 11-34 w/ an alloy lockring)
    06 SRAM PC991 chain
    06 XTR M961 traditional swing front derailleur (still better than top swing)
    Easton CNT EC90 Zero Offset post, 300mm legnth
    Easton CNT EC90 Monkeylite SL riser bars
    Ritchey WCS 110mm stem
    06 Hope Mono Mini disc brakes, 160mm
    Selle Italia SLR saddle
    Crank Bros Short Ti spindles (to go with my TI eggbeater pedals)

Along with my Stan's ZTR Olympic rims laced to Tune hubs w/ Kenda Karma tires, she should weigh 19 lbs and change....not too bad!

Check out how SWEET the easton carbon and FSA carbon stuff is going to look:

I'll post pics of the final build when I get her done!

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    The sensible choice is to get Deus. It's the cheapest option, slightly heavier than XTR and no heavier than the carbons.

Both the Truvativ & FSA K-Force carbons weigh 850gm including BB. I think they're the same product with different graphics.

XTR...stiff & shifts great. overpriced and replacement rings are a fortune.

X.0 triggers & X.0 medium cage RD: shifts like a dream. If cost prohibitive, spend the cash on the X.0 tiggers and get the X.9 RD.

FD: XTR is still the way to go.The SRAM FD is clunky, relatively heavy and doesn't shift as well.
    Don't listen to Squeaky.....there is no room for sensible. I highly recommend the K Force cranks. While I admit I bought them due to peer pressure (from Squeaky by the way), I absolutely LOVE the ergonomics. I have messed up feet and clip in at what most would call unconventional angles such that with most cranks I have issues. With these FSA, not only does my heel not come close to hitting but the front of my foot has zero rub.....I love them.....GET THEM! Not sure about the new Carbon GXPs...(I considered those) but with previous Stylos and Hollzfellers I have had I had major rubbing against the arms. I have also had the Deus and while I liked them OK, hated the fact that it used an Aluminum crank bolt which couldnt hold any torque. Plus....perhaps it was just mine, but the bearings seemed nowhere on par with the FSA given their obvious relative drag. But they are lot and dollar for dollar probably a better deal but I would go K Force.

My opinion on shifting is that X0 twist shifter are the sh!t. I love em. X0 trigger are nice no doubt but too expensive. I run X0 twist shifters with X9 and have never shifted better (at least on my geared bikes )

Agree with Squeaky for sure on the front der....XTR.

and for the Mono Minis.....dont forget to add a splash of color
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by FoShizzle; 10-16-2005 at 11:59 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

FSA it already is

Well, the FSA's are already on their way, and they do look quite good on your bike! The only thing I don't want to do now is scuff them up a ton. Is there a clearcoat adhesive sticker that works for crankarms, like chianstay protectors?

Also, where can you get that kit for the colored levers on the mono mini's? I heard on the Save Some Weight forum that I can get those mono mini's down to 660g for the pair--are these colored levers and bolts part of the kit I can get to lighten it up ?

Jan 2004
    Well, the FSA's are already on their way, and they do look quite good on your bike! The only thing I don't want to do now is scuff them up a ton. Is there a clearcoat adhesive sticker that works for crankarms, like chianstay protectors?

Also, where can you get that kit for the colored levers on the mono mini's? I heard on the Save Some Weight forum that I can get those mono mini's down to 660g for the pair--are these colored levers and bolts part of the kit I can get to lighten it up ?
    actually, the best thing to do if you want colored stuff is hurry up and specify it ahead of time with the order of the Minis. The shop should order them direct from Hope and specify which colors and which items you want colored ahead of time. The levers are Hope that are pictured and of course will not lighten the bike. Buying the levers and stuff after the fact is gonna cost more of course which is why I said to say it ahead of time....Hope will then only charge a tiny bit more and the brakeset will come colored.

You can pre-specify colored levers, colored caliper bore caps, and colored lever reservoir caps.

In regards to saving weight with Hope Mono Minis, make sure then you specify you want the 2-piece rotors and not the normal one piece. This will cost a bit more but will definitely save weight. On my 2 bikes that run new Hope Mono Minis, I have the one piece rotor on one bike and a 2-piece on the other (see pic)
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Geez, those Hope colored parts are nice! I didn't know you could do that. I have a question on your Mini Mono's. The reviews are mixed with those brakes mostly saying that they squeak and have other probs. Have you had any probs?

Why is the 2 pc rotor lighter? Is that a rivet or a bolt/nut? If its a bolt/nut, then I'd like that for my next rotor. It seems it'd be less expensive to replace when you need to change the rotors, though they do last for years before needing to be replaced.

Trail rider and racer
    I placed the order for the components and frame on Friday....here's what went down:

06 Giant XTC composite, 21'' frame, w/ NEW C800 carbon (lighter and stiffer!)
    06 Fox F80 RLT fork (I'm going to shave off the brake bosses)
    05 Sram X.0 gripshifters + rear deailleur (cheaper!)
    06 FSA K-force Megaexo carbon crankset (I'll run this as a 2x9)
    06 SRAM PG990 11-34 cassette (I still may use an XT 11-34 w/ an alloy lockring)
    06 SRAM PC991 chain
    06 XTR M961 traditional swing front derailleur (still better than top swing)
    Easton CNT EC90 Zero Offset post, 300mm legnth
    Easton CNT EC90 Monkeylite SL riser bars
    Ritchey WCS 110mm stem
    06 Hope Mono Mini disc brakes, 160mm
    Selle Italia SLR saddle
    Crank Bros Short Ti spindles (to go with my TI eggbeater pedals)

Along with my Stan's ZTR Olympic rims laced to Tune hubs w/ Kenda Karma tires, she should weigh 19 lbs and change....not too bad!

Check out how SWEET the easton carbon and FSA carbon stuff is going to look:

I'll post pics of the final build when I get her done!
    Oh thats a perfect build list. Not mad on the pedals but anyhow each to their own. I personally had bad experience with the Twin Ti pedals when I built up a bike (using a very very very similar build spec to yours on my Ellsworth Truth!)

The cranks are fantastic and so too is the 05 XO stuff. Grip shifters are really good, provide a great positive 'click' and 'clack'.
    Trev!

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by myitch
    Geez, those Hope colored parts are nice! I didn't know you could do that. I have a question on your Mini Mono's. The reviews are mixed with those brakes mostly saying that they squeak and have other probs. Have you had any probs?

Why is the 2 pc rotor lighter? Is that a rivet or a bolt/nut? If its a bolt/nut, then I'd like that for my next rotor. It seems it'd be less expensive to replace when you need to change the rotors, though they do last for years before needing to be replaced.
    not sure specifically why it is lighter.....but it is. probably just the material.

none of these reviews are scientific where the population of people commenting is no where near a randomized group of people who have the product so there is perhaps a ton of selection bias (eg, higher chance that somebody pissed off will choose to comment than somebody pleased with the product, or vice versa).

All I can say is that as far as XC brakes, I have owned XTR disc, Magura Marta SLs, and now 2 sets of Hope Mono Minis. The XTR had good power and modulation, but the sticky pistons drove me out of my mind, even after warranty replacments so no thanks. Marta SLs were nice, but at least my set did not have the nice modulation as the newer Hope Mono Minis which by the way, are obviously my favorite since 2 of my bikes have em. Yes...they squeal more than my others but either EBC or Kool Stop pads will generally fix that.