~I Ride In Circles ~

New Sram PC-970 Chain question

So I just got a new SRAM PC-970 chain. I'll be putting it on tonight Anyways.. the chain comes with a super thick grease on it.. I'm assuming I should just throw the new chain in some degreaser and let it clean it. After I install the chain and it's dry I'll lube it of course.

So am I correct in getting that gunk/grease off?
    [SIZE=3]
    ~ it's all good ~
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Im not sure about the greases usefulness or harm, but I usually wet the chain with WD40, rag it, and ride 5 miles then lube as normal.
    I wonder about the 970 because I mistakenly thought it was similiar to the tried and true PC69 and bought 2. They've got new "power bulge" side plates. A friend also accustomed to the 69 got a 970 and was suprised his broke as it did.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ZoSoSwiM
    So I just got a new SRAM PC-970 chain. I'll be putting it on tonight Anyways.. the chain comes with a super thick grease on it.. I'm assuming I should just throw the new chain in some degreaser and let it clean it. After I install the chain and it's dry I'll lube it of course.

So am I correct in getting that gunk/grease off?
    NOOOO, leave the gleitmo on. lube with whatever it is you like when it wears off, no need to degrease it until the chain needs a thourough cleaning.
    there's a faq at the SRAM site about it.
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

~I Ride In Circles ~
    Sorry guys the chain is actually a PC-971. The Faq sheet doesn't say anything about leaving the grease on or taking it off. I'm going to be using White Lightning Epic.. So I don't think mixing the 2 is a good idea..
    [SIZE=3]
    ~ it's all good ~
    [/SIZE]