mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Upset New Simano Chain Cleaning

I'm trying to get the coating of a new Shimano chain. It's covered in some sort of sticky coating...I liken it to clear tar...that I know will pick up everything under the sun if it doesn't come off. I have tried soaking it in Simple Green and even cleaning it with Dawn dishsoap, but alas the stuff mocks me! Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Cosmolene(sp?). Even the military uses it to keep new rifles from rusting. I just used a degreaser at full stength, rinsed thoroughly, degreased again, rinsed again and it was clean. Then I let it dry and applied lube.

mtbr member
    I just cleaned a new PC-93 chain as well, though simple green worked fine for me. I let it soak for about 2 hours though (forgot about it while repacking my hubs).
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

banned
    Seems like SRAM's Gleitmo to me. I wish I could get some of that though.... didn't get dirty for around 2 months.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    No it's not the same thing and according to MikeT and SRAM you're not supposed to remove the stuff SRAM puts on the chain while you are supposed to remove the stuff Shimano puts on the chain. Biiiig difference.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I always strip new chains with white gas/Coleman fuel. I use wg/Cf for all my grease cleaning. It works remarkably well and evaporates to leave a ready-for-lube surface.
    I get a kick out of the suggestion to not clean that gunk off a new chain. You're going to have to do it sometime, right? Why not first thing to start with what you like?! Whatever works for you though...
    Jim

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Isn't white gas a carcinogin(sp?)?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I always wear gloves.

Keepin' it real since '74
    Try soaking the chain in Gunk Engine Degreaser. That stuff works like a charm, but it's not environmentally friendly. Just take the used Degreaser to Wal-Mart. They'll dispose of it properly.
    "If God didn't want us to eat animals, He wouldn't have made them out of meat."

Flyin Canine
    Quote Originally Posted by JimboCO
    I always strip new chains with white gas/Coleman fuel. I use wg/Cf for all my grease cleaning. It works remarkably well and evaporates to leave a ready-for-lube surface.
    I get a kick out of the suggestion to not clean that gunk off a new chain. You're going to have to do it sometime, right? Why not first thing to start with what you like?! Whatever works for you though...
    Jim

Kerosene works really well for motorcycle chains and evaporates too. I haven't used it for bikes chains yet but seems like it would be the same. Anyone tried it? It's like $4 a gallon at OSH.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    And a respirator.