Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

new shifter ??

534 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Squash 
#1 ·
Would upgrading the shifters on my 08 hopper make a diferance if i have the stock alivio derailuer?

#2 ·
To really be...

able to notice the difference it would be a good idea to upgrade both the shifters and derailleurs. Yes you'll notice some difference with one or the other. But you won't get the full benefits of the upgrade without going to something a bit better in the derailleur department as well.

Another factor that looms it's ugly head is the drive train itself. Since you have the Alivo/Accera drive train, I assume that you have either the base Rockhopper or Rockhopper disc model. This is an 8 speed drive train yes? That well may limit you as to just how far you can upgrade your shifters. There are very few higher end 8 speed shifters to be found anymore. About the best you'd be likely to find is Deore level stuff. An upgrade over the stock stuff to be sure, but not all that much better. But if you were to go with say Deore or LX derailleurs and Deore shifters, that would be pretty noticeable. Shifting would be crisper and quicker, and the Deore and LX components would be more durable.

Yes an upgrade of shifters would help your Alivio/Accera derailleur performance a bit. Would it be worth it, maybe. I'd definately consider derailleurs along with it though to see the most out of the shifter upgrade.

Good Dirt

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.