mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Hope New rings don't fit, need more bolts

i recently bought truvativ trushift inner and middle rings because my inner was banged up and my middle was skipping, they arrived. the problem is that the rings dont fit onto anything...the bash guard, the cranks, because one the bolt holes are too big and two the holes dont have any threads. here are some pictures of what is wrong...the first pic is of the beautiful new rings that dont fit, the second is of the old busted rings and why they fit because of their build ...you can see the lip that is a little smaller and goes onto the crank and has the threads, and the third is of the middle ring with the bolt showing that there is a lot of space there. please help me with any ideas of what to do. its like i need some kinda of extension. thanks a lot.

Daniel

well **** the damn uploader isn't working so i cant show you the pictures, but if someone knows how to do that then i could show the pictures if not help me with what you know. thanks again.

meh....
    Quote Originally Posted by dmannino
    i recently bought truvativ trushift inner and middle rings because my inner was banged up and my middle was skipping, they arrived. the problem is that the rings dont fit onto anything...the bash guard, the cranks, because one the bolt holes are too big and two the holes dont have any threads. here are some pictures of what is wrong...the first pic is of the beautiful new rings that dont fit, the second is of the old busted rings and why they fit because of their build ...you can see the lip that is a little smaller and goes onto the crank and has the threads, and the third is of the middle ring with the bolt showing that there is a lot of space there. please help me with any ideas of what to do. its like i need some kinda of extension. thanks a lot.

Daniel

well **** the damn uploader isn't working so i cant show you the pictures, but if someone knows how to do that then i could show the pictures if not help me with what you know. thanks again.
    If you put the old and new rings next to each other, what is different about the new ones? I don't know of chainrings that have threads.

Monte

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Hope

i realized what happened i have giant manufactured cranks and giant manufactured rings. which means that ill need new cranks to fit my inner ring, but i can get my middle ring on.
    i need to find a solid pair of cranks that aren't too expensive any suggestions?
    thanks

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmannino
    i realized what happened i have giant manufactured cranks and giant manufactured rings. which means that ill need new cranks to fit my inner ring, but i can get my middle ring on.
    i need to find a solid pair of cranks that aren't too expensive any suggestions?
    thanks
    Look on ebay for a used set of RaceFace Prodigy DH cranks, they usually go for pretty cheap.

Sure would help if you could describe better, too bad you can't figure out the photo thing. I'm not sure how your middle ring would now fit but your granny won't. Can you clarify with some details like what the bolt count and bcd of your current cranks are, and the replacement rings you purchased? BCD is bolt circle diameter, and is the normal measurement by which one would select replacement rings (along with the number of bolts, 4 or 5). I've never heard of a threaded ring, either; rings are normally secured to a crankset with chainring bolts/nuts (sometimes with spacers as well). What bike did they come on?

If you want to get an idea about bcd etc try this http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/chainrings.html
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique