mtbr member
    Oct 2007

new RF evolve xc or older XT crank?

i have a good condition octalink XT crank (internal bearing kind) with a good condition LX bottom bracket. they're really problem free, a few months old (got them NOS).

i got a new 07 trance1 with the RF evolove xc cranks. they shift pretty nicely and look good, but im concerned about durability with these cranks. im 200lbs and pretty hard on drivetrain equipment.. should i toss my old XT cranks on and keep these for backups? ive heard the rf cranks have fairly questionable bottom brackets.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    The bbs on all the external crankset are questionable in terms of lifespan. There is a post by Hecubus about servicing external bbs to make them last longer. As far was which crankset to run is up to you, personally I would run the XTs.

ballbuster

Is that specific....

Quote Originally Posted by tomsmoto
    i have a good condition octalink XT crank (internal bearing kind) with a good condition LX bottom bracket. they're really problem free, a few months old (got them NOS).

i got a new 07 trance1 with the RF evolove xc cranks. they shift pretty nicely and look good, but im concerned about durability with these cranks. im 200lbs and pretty hard on drivetrain equipment.. should i toss my old XT cranks on and keep these for backups? ive heard the rf cranks have fairly questionable bottom brackets.
    ... to RF or all externals?

I gotta say. I've trashed two Octalink BBs through dirt (sand) contamination. My bad technique cleaning my bikes, pretty much. Actually have like 2500 miles on my most recent Octalink.

But I have 3 sets of external Shimanos (2 LXs and an XT) and they have been flawless too. Some folks complain about external bearing drag, but I found that if you don't go overboard on the preload, and give them some time to break in, they spin like mad. My only complaint is that the Q is super wide on them.

I dunno. If you have Octalink XTs, I wouldn't feel too motivated to move off of those. They are reasonably light, stiff and reliable.

Although if you own the RF cranks already, don't be worried about reliability. I mean, what else are you going to do with them? Just run them! I would suggest checking the torque on the bolt every now and again. Get a torque wrench if you don't own one already.

mtbr member
    No need to check torque on RF cranks, the bolt bottoms out, it cant go any farther just make sure its bottomed out if you're concerned about that but in reality you'll probably only have to do that once after the normal break in period of a bike!

I should be studying...
    The big issue with RF crank external bearing failure is proper bearing preload. Most people have way to much preload on the bearings which is why they roll poorly and fail prematurely. On the RF cranks, you want to bottom out the crank bolt and you also want the minimum amount of spacers that prevents any side-to-side play
    Formerly known as iceaxe

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    i guess ill just run them into the ground and install the xt's if need be later down the road.

i liked the xt's because there was no preload, no servicing, no nothing. i just ran them to death and they never skipped a beat!