mtbr member
    Sep 2005

NEW (recently released) Gore RideOn cables vs. Drycable.com cables.

Has anyone had the chance to compare the NEW Gore RideOn cables (which Gore recently started offering again) to the drycables.com cables? They look like very similar products "on paper," but I'm wondering about the specific characteristics of one vs the other. I recently tried the drycables, but they have more friction on my setup than I had expected. I've definitely had better results with other cables after applying grease, but I find that I tend to wear cables out quickly, so I was hoping to find something that lasted longer.

Note that in my personal experience, I notice quite a difference from one cable to the next, so I'm definitely NOT of the opinion that "any good cable will do." It appears to depend on the specific setup, and on my bike, the cables make a noticeable difference. I'm hoping to find something that does not need grease, and since the drycables weren't as friction free as I had hoped, I'm wondering if the Gore RideOn cables will be better. They're a bit pricey, so I wanted to get some opinions on this before trying them.

Thanks for any feedback on this,

Larry

...idios...
    Hey Larry,

I used the original RideOn cables on my first FSR (with Avid Arch Rivals and SD levers) and one of the reasons that I switched to hydraulics was because I couldn't get hold of the Gore cables anymore, they were the best performing cables I'd ever used. I like a firm lever for V's while still allowing for modulation and the RO cables gave me that. The (wound) outers have very little compression and the inners match that with only a tiny amount of stretch. Overall they lend themselves to a very natural (at least for me) feel at the lever.
    The GoreTex coating on the inners works wonderfully with the plastic inner tube, so I really had the feeling that the lever was operating the calipers, rather than first having to operate the cables, if you see what I mean?
    Ideally, you would run a full legth of outer cable and keep the bends as smooth as possible as excess friction around bends can cause the GoreTex coating to separate from the inner cable. Although I always advocate single-length outers for brake and gear cables, in the case of the ROs using the outer to also protect the plastic sleeve is a wise move. The relative fragility of the plastic inner sleeve, and the fact that the system is more or less ruined should you damage it, is the only significant negative of the RideOn system. My partner got the remnants of my RO cables on her hybrid when I went to hydraulics and they're still going strong after 3 three years of daily use, but on a mountain bike that gets thrown around trails and into the back of cars and vans on a regular basis, the limitation of the RO design are revealed. Run a full-length outer and these frailties are removed, leaving you with all the benefits of a fully sealed, dry lubed cable system.
    If you haven't already, check out these MTBR reviews.
    All in all, the RideOn cables get my vote. I've just done some searching and found the new sealed derailleur cable set which I'll be purchasing when my new rear mech arrives in a couple of weeks, so thank you for letting me know they're available again.

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

mtbr member
    I had a set of Gore's, and really loved them. Almost no pressure at the shifter. Then I put a riser bar and new fork on my old bike, and they were too short

Man, with sealed bearing all around, hydraulic brakes, and Gore shift cables, the only maintenance on the bike is chain lube. Times are getting boring.