mtbr member
    Jul 2004

New Rear Derailleur (or Operator) Problem

So I just installed a new SRAM setup on my FS bike. Installtion, with new chain, cables, went fine. Took it out for a test ride and everything seemed to work OK, except I noticed that I didn't have my limit set correctly on the small cog and I had hte cable tension a littel too high. (running new SRAM 9 spd shifters and X-9 rear)

Got it home, shifted to the smallest cog and released the cable. Adjusted the limit screw and then re-attached the cable. Shifts all the way through the range now but I'm having a different problem.

In most gear combos, I'll pedal forward as normal (this is in a bike stand by hte way) and then reverse and "pedal backwards" and the rear derailluer cage pulls forward and the chain wants to come off. It doesn't spin in reverse cleanly. Theres lots of chain sag on hte top while its sucking backwards through the rear cassette and derail cogs. What changed? Help!

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Fixed

So I thought I'd post a reply/fix to my own problem. Hope it benefits someone else.

Turns out that my rear hub/freewheel were toast - they still worked - but the freewheel was so gummed up the cassette wasn't able to "idle" freely when pedaling backwards. My wheelset are the Mavic Crossmax Enduros BTW.

Performed the recommended maintenance on the freewheel and actually repalaced the hub bearings as well, since they too were shot. Clean and smooth as a whistle.

For anyone looking for Mavics freewheel body maintenenance instructions for those hubs/wheels - here you go.

http://www.mavic.com/ewb_pages/m/mai..._FTS_L_461.php