mtbr member

New pedals, to many choices.....

So I'm looking for some new pedals, and have found a lot of choices.
    I race cross country and do a lot of road- training. Used shoes are Shimano SH-M225 (carbon sole). Have been searching on this forum, and this is what I have come up with. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Eggbeaters ( Sl and Ti) are light, good in mud, but non-durable (part can be replaced), probably not comfy for road training, and are they gonna eat up my shoes ??

Shimano M 959 are from what if read very good, but are a bit heavy. And they have a bigger platform.

Xdepo's ( Mag and Mag/Ti) are light, have a platform, but also non durable( parts can't be replaced).

Candy's ( Sl and Ti)are a bit heavier then the eggbeaters, but still light. They have a platform, but are they durable ?? and can parts be replaced ??

I'm leaning towards the candy's, but would like some opinions.

Thanks

DEX

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Dex11
    So I'm looking for some new pedals, and have found a lot of choices.
    I race cross country and do a lot of road- training. Used shoes are Shimano SH-M225 (carbon sole). Have been searching on this forum, and this is what I have come up with. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Eggbeaters ( Sl and Ti) are light, good in mud, but non-durable (part can be replaced), probably not comfy for road training, and are they gonna eat up my shoes ??

Shimano M 959 are from what if read very good, but are a bit heavy. And they have a bigger platform.

Xdepo's ( Mag and Mag/Ti) are light, have a platform, but also non durable( parts can't be replaced).

Candy's ( Sl and Ti)are a bit heavier then the eggbeaters, but still light. They have a platform, but are they durable ?? and can parts be replaced ??

I'm leaning towards the candy's, but would like some opinions.

Thanks

DEX
    Depends what you ride I think. Lots of rocks on the trails I ride and the pedals tend to get beat up quickly, so I dont worry about pedals to much. I tend to go w/ whats cheapest. Same goes for rear derailluers. Lots of folks buy exspensive derailluers but all it takes is one stick, branch, rock etc... to destroy it. Anyway thats my opinion. But......if I was a millionare I would have all the goodies!!!!!!!! lol

Curtlo Hardtail(liatdraH)

What about Time?

Time was my choice for my first clipless. Maybe not the best idea because they aren't adjustable, but after the initial steep learning curve I really like them. I have used both the Aliums and Carbons and have had no problems with them at all.
    Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Second the Time ATACs

Quote Originally Posted by liatdraH
    Time was my choice for my first clipless. Maybe not the best idea because they aren't adjustable, but after the initial steep learning curve I really like them. I have used both the Aliums and Carbons and have had no problems with them at all.
    I second the Time ATAC clipless pedals. I use the Alium S pedals, and they are awesome, so easy to get in and out of, once you get used to them and break them in, and even that doesn't take that long, probably a few days of riding in them. They are also very secure.
    Anything worth doing is worth overdoing...

-Ricko, mtbr member

mtbr member
    Never thought about the Time's, forgot all about them. THANKS !!!
    From what I understand, they are good in mud. But are they durable ??
    As I said before, I don't use them for racing only but training aswell.

Thanks.

DEX

-> SickLines.com <-
    The only mtb pedals i would recommend are the
    New Time Atatc's or
    Shimano M959 / M540

Chrome Toaster
    Look at the Shimano 540 too. Its 99% the same as the 959 for half the cost. Only difference is it use phillips screws instead of hex and the coating on the jaws is crome instead on the slightly better flourine coating of the 959's. They only weigh 6g more.

Time is also a great choice and are very durable. I wouldn't recommend the candy's. The platform really does nothing. It just makes the pedal more dificult to get into than the standard eggbeater. Its a product for those people who can't deal with the unusual look of the eggbeater. Its durability will be the same as the eggbeater since its the same pedal.

mtbr member
    Many thanks.

Especially for the info about the candy's, they were my first choice. I never knew the candy were almost the same, execpt for the platform. But when I look at it now its clear.
    Time or Shimano it will be then, but witch model of the Atac's ?? Is the only difference the weight ??

Thanks

DEX

mtbr member
    I just bought some eggs (sl). I haven't tried them out yet, but the weight savings are nice....
    ---(cheap, light, strong)---
    pick two...

I choose all 3!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I believe that weight is the only difference, and yes the TIMEs are quite durable
    Anything worth doing is worth overdoing...

-Ricko, mtbr member

MTBR Mafia
    eggbeaters are sweet. pounded mine for 2 years and still going like day one

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I got a pair of candy's and really like them....they work very well in mud and adverse conditions

my biggest complaint with them though is the cleat life.....i wear down the cleats every 3 or 4 months and have to get new ones, from my understanding im not the only one with this problem

mtbr member

Crank Bros. all around

I have Candy's on the Joker, Mallets on the hard tail and SL's on the road bike and my fixie. So far all is well and I only have one set of cleats for any riding shoe I feel like using. And with the Mallets, I can use a show without a cleat. I have a set of SIDI Dom's that fit my feet like a glove and I use most of the time on any of my bikes. I use my road shoes infrequently, but the option is always there.

Rick

nab
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I second the shimano 540. It's light, durable and cheap and mud doesn't get stuck in. And it also looks good. What more can you ask for? I've broken a 959 before, accidentally landed the pedal on a rock.