mtbr member
    Sep 2004

new member with a question

i have a 2003 specialized stumpjumber. i think the bearings need to be repacked for the crank. i took off the 8mm bold on each side and than did not know how to get the arms off to take apart the bearing assembly with the tool. how do i get the arms off??? and what kind of greese do i use?? also one of my teeth broke on the large gear that is attached to the crank. it says 7075 4 mm. where do i pick one of these up and how much do they run?

Dirt Burner
    Quote Originally Posted by Jared Ajlouny
    i have a 2003 specialized stumpjumber. i think the bearings need to be repacked for the crank. i took off the 8mm bold on each side and than did not know how to get the arms off to take apart the bearing assembly with the tool. how do i get the arms off??? and what kind of greese do i use?? also one of my teeth broke on the large gear that is attached to the crank. it says 7075 4 mm. where do i pick one of these up and how much do they run?

First off you will most likely need a crank arm puller to remove the crank arms, you can get this at your LBS(Local Bike Shop). You will also need a bottom bracket tool, Park is the brand to buy for bike tools. Your LBS will be able to give you helpful tips on this repair as well.
    About the bearing assembly, it should be a sealed bottom bracket (that?s a cartridge type), this is just an item to replace if it is bad because its not serviceable (just a guess there not knowing what type of BB is on your bike) remove it and take it to your LBS for a replacement.
    Then remove the old large chain ring (gear) off of your crank and take it to your LBS, this is a good idea because they will be able to get you exact replacement parts for your bike, it saves you the grief of getting the wrong part from an online parts store (especially if you are a beginner at bike repair) after you are used to the types of parts on your bike then its ok to go online because you will pretty much know what your after.

Best of luck
    Last edited by DirtDawg; 09-04-2004 at 05:15 PM.
    I believe there are people who disagree with my beliefs. I don't believe they are wrong. I know they are.
    - Ted Nugent

So Much To Break, So Little Time

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    thanks man, how much are crank pullers usually?

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    oh yea, i have a bike tool box, what does a crank puller look like, i might have one

Dirt Burner
    thanks man, how much are crank pullers usually?

Crank Pullers by Park usually start at about $13 and go up.
    I believe there are people who disagree with my beliefs. I don't believe they are wrong. I know they are.
    - Ted Nugent

Dirt Burner
    oh yea, i have a bike tool box, what does a crank puller look like, i might have one

Tell ya what, instead of me trying to describe one to you and making myself sound even dumber than I already am, just go to your LBS and ask to see the different types of crank arm pullers they have, then run home and dig through the tool box to see if you have one.
    This will save in very dense sounding descriptions that will cause others to double over in laughter.
    - Ted Nugent

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    i looked in my tool box, and i have one, but its the wrong kind. the ip that is suppose to pry it apart is to small ad just goes into the hole, is there a way to make it work? BTW i put 2 pennies in there (thats all that would fit) and it bent/destryed the penies with little force

Dirt Burner
    i looked in my tool box, and i have one, but its the wrong kind. the ip that is suppose to pry it apart is to small ad just goes into the hole, is there a way to make it work? BTW i put 2 pennies in there (thats all that would fit) and it bent/destryed the penies with little force
    Pennies are made of a soft metal (copper) and will bend very easy. Not being able to see what you’re working on it hard to give you any advice. Is your bottom bracket a square taper? If so those little suckers can be a real pain in the$$ to remove. All I can suggest is that you need to get the correct puller for the type of crank you have, if you can put a penny through the crank and rest it against the end of the bottom bracket boy it sounds like a big bolt hole in the crank.

Here is a link that might help you out.
    This one is for crank arm removal-->http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/fix/crank.htm

And one is for bottom bracket removal ->http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/fix/bracket.htm

I hope this gets you to where you need to be.
    - Ted Nugent