mtbr member
    Dec 2005

New LX Hollowtech Allignment

I just got the new lx hollowtech 2 crank for christmas and went to install it. When i did the alignment like they said for a 68 mm width, my crank was way out of alignment. I couldnt even get the chain on the big ring because it was hitting my front derailuer. So i installed the driveside bottom bracket with no spacers, and when i put the crank in, it lined up almost perfectly. But now this means that i would have to put 3 spacers on the non drive side. Did i do something wrong or is this just a design flaw. I ride a 2002 Cannondale Jekyll, if anyone knows whats the deal is with this i would love to find out.
    Thanks

MTB B'dos
    Shimano has seen it in their golden wisdom to make their cranks set up w/ a 50mm chainline, that is why you had problems when you set it up according to their instructions. (the best chainline is sposed to be 45mm, but due to modern suspension designs it's almost im possible to acheive so somewhere around 47.5mm is normally good - I am running this) A lot of people have had problems settting up the new HollowTech2 cranks Shimanos' way -myself included. I know someone who is running his XT set the same as you, however I would suggest you try it w/ 1 spacer/washer on the drive side & 2 on the non-drive side first before you settle on it.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I have the exact same problem. 68mm BB with XT Hollowtech II crankset, XT FD. How did you set your spacer configuration? Mine alinges with the middle crankwheel. It appears if I remove all spacers it would align perfectly.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    You'll need to readjust your front derailleur due to the chainline being moved out a bit.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Kevin- do you need mean adjust the High limit screw?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by antsias
    Kevin- do you need mean adjust the High limit screw?
    Since the chainline is being moved, you'll need to adjust both limit screws. You'll also need to reset the cable tension.

If I were doing it, I'd detach the cable, adjust the limit screws, and then reattach the cable. Reattach the cable with the shifter in the low gear (cable all the way out) and derailleur positioned over the small chain ring.