PeT
    Occasionally engagedů

New internally-geared hub -- Rohloff competition?

Just got an email anouncing the launch of an internally-geared hub. It looks to be even heavier than a Rohloff (certainly not lighter) and have a smaller gear range, but it's said to be "infinitely variable". Not really cheaper either...

http://www.freeridehub.com/Other_bik...cessories.html

I'll let someone else experiment with it, but all the same I'm glad there are people who think internally-geared hubs are the future...

What I really want is an off-road worthy 7 speed internally-geared hub with a workable range of 20 gear inches through to 80 gear inches that weighs 3 lbs or less and has minimal internal friction... oh, and a US president with a 3 digit IQ...

Reviewer/Tester
    I have been hoping for an internally geared hub with say ... 5 speeds and light weight, [about a pound,] that will stand up to severe off-road riding for a long time.

Rohloff make a very tough hub, and it does last and handle extreme conditions, but it is heavy and I don't really need all those gears.

Currently, there is very little to choose from in the internally geared hub market...unfortunately..

Maybe the appearance of this new hub will get some big company like Shimano or Sram to come up with some viable alternatives ... I hope so.

R.
    It is inevitable ...

yep
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    i want an internal hub sooooooo bad, but after doing some research it looks like you have to buy about 3 more additional parts to make it work right. adding about 500 bucks to the original cost. making it about 1400 bucks! that doesnt even compute in my brain. i mean, the idea is right on, but they still need to find a way to make it better. the main reason why i want a internal hub is to get away from those damn deraillures. but then i saw that if you have vertical dropouts, you have to buy a chain tensioner that looks exactly like a derailluer. so what the hell is the point of that?? and to top it off it says that if you have a 150mm rear end that you have to buy special spacer plates that go for about 400 bucks. hopefully someone will get it right soon, because i need one bad.

1x9'er
    Jul 2005
    It would be really cool to have a light weight internal gear hub with the equivalent of a say 10-36 cog spread, to run with a single ring crank up front. It'd be really nice to ditch the rear derailuer and exposed gears, then the chain could be sealed up in it's own enclosure to keep it clean, or who knows, maybe even replace the chain with a simple and light weight drive shaft...

Currently I run 1x9 (one front ring, 9 cogs in the back) on my trail bike and that's been working out well for me, but it would be nice to have just a little higher high gear and maybe just a little lower low gear, all in a clean, neat, sealed-up, light weight, low maintenance package .

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

"old" news mate ;p

To keep the initial discussion / speculations in one place, go to this thread.

Cheers,
    -Tomasz