mtbr member
    Sep 2005

New Front Derailler ? Deore, LX, Hone Or XT ??????

Okay,

Now i have a Shimano Deore Frond Derailleur (2004, Top Pull, 31,8)...

This summer its started to rust a little bit and make some fuuny sound...

I would like to know if another front derailleur would give me a better performence ? (I just bought a new crankset, hone)

What are the difference between all those front derailleur from shimano ?

mtbr member
    Megaclocker

Difference = mostly price.
    If I was to blindfold you and told you to go for a spin on a XT, LX (Hone), or a DEORE FD's I bet you couldn't tell much of a difference between them. (RD's are a different story though) The XT, LX (Hone) have a wider platform (less flex) than the DEORE so the shifting should be more a little more precise.
    So it really comes down to what you can afford - IMO I think you'll get the "best bang for your buck" if you go with the LX FD

If the FD is fine = doesn't have a lot of side to side "play" ( more than a few mm's) try putting some penetrating lube onto the pivots to get rid of that funny sound. You just might get another season out of it

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by cort
    Megaclocker

Difference = mostly price.
    If I was to blindfold you and told you to go for a spin on a XT, LX (Hone), or a DEORE FD's I bet you couldn't tell much of a difference between them. (RD's are a different story though) The XT, LX (Hone) have a wider platform (less flex) than the DEORE so the shifting should be more a little more precise.
    So it really comes down to what you can afford - IMO I think you'll get the "best bang for your buck" if you go with the LX FD

If the FD is fine = doesn't have a lot of side to side "play" ( more than a few mm's) try putting some penetrating lube onto the pivots to get rid of that funny sound. You just might get another season out of it
    Yeah i think i will keep mine and clean it correctly then !