mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Cool-blue Rhythm New frame build... would like some ideas.

Monday I aquired a magnesium alloy hardtail MTB frame from a buddy who is leaving town. Brand new, made between 2002-2003. So I was thinking of doing a build on it. I got it free so what the hell.

General build goals:
    1. This is going to be a "fun" bike. An around town kind of thing. Very light trail use.
    2. I want to make this a budget minded build. Steals and deals baby...
    3. The frame is 2.5lb so I'd like to keep it fairly light if possible.
    4. Not in a rush to get it done, and I don't have all the tools to do everything so an LBS will be involved sooner or later.

I have some basic spare parts already together:
    *** Panaracer Fire 1.8 tires
    *** Pedals
    *** Handlebar/stem
    *** Possible fork
    *** Possible front wheel
    *** Seat

Here is the issue I ran into last night - The frame takes a 73mm x 113mm bottom bracket.

Any ideas for a crankset & bottom bracket that will fit it properly that won't cost $300+?

mtbr member
    FSA V-drive mega exo. About $150 at AEbike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Cambriakbike.com

Shimano Deore octalink crankset 170mm = $44.95 or 175mm - $49.95

ES-70 Bottom bracket- blem in 73 x 113 = $18.95
    I bike; therefore, I work

Anytime. Anywhere.

Fix

Ideal candidate for a White Industries ENO eccentric hub. Make it fixed for light weight and fun.

http://www.whiteind.com/ENO_Products/index.html

http://www.63xc.com/
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by VT no 1 2 or 3
    Cambriakbike.com

Shimano Deore octalink crankset 170mm = $44.95 or 175mm - $49.95

ES-70 Bottom bracket- blem in 73 x 113 = $18.95

Hey, thanks a lot! I am calling them now to confirm that these will work properly together.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DocAltie
    Hey, thanks a lot! I am calling them now to confirm that these will work properly together.
    Yes, they work together just fine- just installed this same some combo last week. The Deore cranskset is only heavier than the last of the XT M752 cranks because of the steel chain rings- but they last a long time.
    I bike; therefore, I work

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Big Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VT no 1 2 or 3
    Yes, they work together just fine- just installed this same some combo last week. The Deore cranskset is only heavier than the last of the XT M752 cranks because of the steel chain rings- but they last a long time.
    That's what I figured on weight, and yea the added durability is important to me. I ordered the set yesterday. Total steal at that price for this application. Cambria Bike is a solid website for bargins. Definately will be ordering more items from them.

Again, gracias tanto amigo.

Dat mah bike, punk!
    Monday I aquired a magnesium alloy hardtail MTB frame from a buddy who is leaving town. Brand new, made between 2002-2003. So I was thinking of doing a build on it. I got it free so what the hell.

General build goals:
    1. This is going to be a "fun" bike. An around town kind of thing. Very light trail use.
    2. I want to make this a budget minded build. Steals and deals baby...
    3. The frame is 2.5lb so I'd like to keep it fairly light if possible.
    4. Not in a rush to get it done, and I don't have all the tools to do everything so an LBS will be involved sooner or later.

I have some basic spare parts already together:
    *** Panaracer Fire 1.8 tires
    *** Pedals
    *** Handlebar/stem
    *** Possible fork
    *** Possible front wheel
    *** Seat

Here is the issue I ran into last night - The frame takes a 73mm x 113mm bottom bracket.

Any ideas for a crankset & bottom bracket that will fit it properly that won't cost $300+?

i'm guessing you're not planning to use any disc brake systems on this here project? also putting any fork over $250 and it's a thief's target....i snagged an old Manitou 3 fork with a whopping 3 inches of elastomer travel, was perfect for it's purpose, and added an old dia compe brake on the FRONT ONLY.

i'd have fun looking on ebay for an old pisser fork that would withstand coffee runs around town and still have a retro cool about em....now you've got me thinkin too!
    every thread needs an uploaded image of one kind or another.

Freshly Fujified

misctwo makes a point

Quote Originally Posted by misctwo
    i'm guessing you're not planning to use any disc brake systems on this here project? also putting any fork over $250 and it's a thief's target....i snagged an old Manitou 3 fork with a whopping 3 inches of elastomer travel, was perfect for it's purpose, and added an old dia compe brake on the FRONT ONLY.

i'd have fun looking on ebay for an old pisser fork that would withstand coffee runs around town and still have a retro cool about em....now you've got me thinkin too!
    If you're goung to ride the bike around town, dumb the build down a bit. You still want reliable, quality parts, but nothing that a thief won't pass by because they know the next bike around the corner will have better parts.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Call_me_Clyde
    If you're goung to ride the bike around town, dumb the build down a bit. You still want reliable, quality parts, but nothing that a thief won't pass by because they know the next bike around the corner will have better parts.

Bob
    Yea good thought. Thqat was the main reason I bought a Specialized HardRock 4 yrs ago. It always gets passed over, but for a cheap trailbike / townie back in 2002, ti was a steal at $300 new.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by misctwo

Yep, exactly, no disc brakes. Just some old Deore V's that I have laying around.

I think I have the fork department covered on this one. I have had a Specialized HardRock for 4-5 yrs. Popped the original fork, so I replaced it with an 02 Duke SL100 2 years ago. Great shape, about 4lb. I'll end up putting a cheap rigid fork on the HardRock and give it to my dad. Put the Duke on the new frame.

Yup, Ebay is my friend! I was looking for a linkage fork... ha ha ha

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Yep, exactly, no disc brakes. Just some old Deore V's that I have laying around.

I think I have the fork department covered on this one. I have had a Specialized HardRock for 4-5 yrs. Popped the original fork, so I replaced it with an 02 Duke SL100 2 years ago. Great shape, about 4lb. I'll end up putting a cheap rigid fork on the HardRock and give it to my dad. Put the Duke on the new frame.

Yup, Ebay is my friend! I was looking for a linkage fork... ha ha ha

Check out Nashbar .com.......they also run some good DEALS!!!

.................................................. ..........................PEACE.......