mtbr member
    Oct 2007

New Drive Train or just quick fix?

So a while back my bike was in for maintenance and I ended up having to put a new chain on it because the old one was stretched. Didn't have the money at the time for a new cassette or front ring or anything... Its been a few months now and I think its probably time to replace that cassette...

Is my best bet to replace the cassette, chainrings, and chain all at once and then just make sure to keep it clean a lubed for max life? That way i'm startin fresh with a whole new drive train. Will my crank and BB still be compatible or do I really need to watch what I buy? What do you guys recommed?

I'm rollin with SRAM X9 derailers (long cage in the back I think). Dont really need a bash guard and need to have a good granny gear. I'm tryin to not sound like a total newb when I walk into the LBS and get their recomendations.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

To start with....

you don't necessarily need to replace the crank. If the crankset you have now has replaceable chainrings, the individual rings can be replaced. So that needs to be determined first. If so just get a set of replacement rings, it's cheaper than a whole new crank, and more ecconomical if your bb and crank are still in good working order. Second up is determine if you do actually need new chainrings and cassette. Are you having problems with the current set? Poor shifting performance? Chain skipping on the cassette? Chain suck or skipping on the chain rings? If everything is working fine then you likely don't need to replace them yet. If you are having problems then yes replace the chainrings, cassette, and chain all at once. And from here on keep an eye on your chain wear. A new cassette and chainrings can outlast multiple chains if you replace the chain regularly. Do yourself a favor and get a park tool chain checker. It's the easiest and fastest way I know of to check a chain for wear, though there are cheaper methods. I find however, that the simpler and faster it is the more likely you are to do it. I check my chains at least once a month and replace them when indicated. That's the best way there is (other than keeping it cleaned and lubed) to get the maximum life out of your drivetrain.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I am definitely getting chain slip when in certain gears and really tryin to crank... and its only in certain gears... There has also been some difficulty with shifting and keeping the rear deraileur aligned... The cranks and BB are squeaky but i'm guessing thats just cuz its dirty and hasnt been cleaned in while...

Thanks for the advice, i think its time to start doin some shopping...

just along for the ride
    A quick fix if your chain is skipping on the 3 oclock power stroke is to take off the offending chainring and turn it 90 degrees then remount, this can be done with 4/5 bolt chainrings with good results.Most chain rings these days are aluminium and wear very fast (restof drivetrain is steel), when you take it off you will see some teeth will be very worn others like new. Most people are mashers on the pedals so naturally only a few teeth take most of the load. By rotating the chainring you are letting little used teeth do the work and the worn ones will be out of you power stroke.Its a good way to extend the life of the drivetrain before replacing everything.

shred my gnar
    Quote Originally Posted by Squash
    If you are having problems then yes replace the chainrings, cassette, and chain all at once.
    ditto on that. read the "Chain Slippage" thread on here...